Recommended tools for stem cleaning/maintenance?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
So I find that my pipes' stems are becoming more and more oxidized and tasting foul. Apparently polishing them here and there with my shirt isn't working anymore. What tools and/or products do I need to get my stems back in shape(black and shiny)? I'm not worried so much about cosmetics, just the taste. What can I do low budget to take care of this?

These are vulcanite btw... Thanks!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
HI Nathaniel,
Bristle pipe cleaners plus alcohol for the airway. Scrub until the cleaners come out without any stain. Double over the cleaner and scrub out the area of the airway at the bit where it flares out and get all of the stuff that's built up out of the airway. To remove crud buildup on the exterior and return the stems to a gloss glack, pick up a set of micromesh sanding/polishing pads and work with successively finer grits, first to remove the crud, then to polish to a glass like sheen. Coat the stem with a tiny amount of either Halcyon ll or Paragon wax and buff off to seal the surface from air.
Also, completely clean out the mortise of the shank to remove any build up there. Much badness comes from a fouled mortise.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Thanks sagebrush! Any particular brands you suggest? Also what grits should I use?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Hobby Lobby sells packs of micromesh pads in various grits. For cleaning the airways I use Everclear which is available at most liquor stores.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks sagebrush! Any particular brands you suggest? Also what grits should I use?
Micromesh pads come in a set so where you start depends on the state of your stems. If they're really covered with a build up of hardened mouth paste and scratches, start with the coarsest grit to remove that and get back to the vulcanite, then move through successively finer grits to smooth and polish. I generally use the last 3-4 levels of fineness under running cold water.

Status
Not open for further replies.