PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clovis

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Good day, everyone! I am asking for suggestions for the future, as I've just purchased and will be trying for the first time:
Tabac Manil La Brumeuse
Drucquer & Sons Blairgowrie (couldn't decide from their lineup, they all sounded great, but Blairgowrie won out on name alone)
Peterson's MM965.
I am looking forward to them, from what I have read.
Prior to this order, out of the below first blends I've purchased and tried insofar, what would be sensible (your opinion) to go after next?
I've tasted -
Peterson's Nightcap: Favorite I have ordered thus far, in terms of flavor, consistency, hardly any relights. I reach for this one the most.
GLP Quiet Nights: Great taste, but ribbon cut? Not sure correct terminology.
SPC Plum Pudding: Strong notes, but enjoyable nonetheless. Nice retrohale, surprised by the taste, how the hell do they do that. Same as Quiet Nights, good stuff. Thick, square cuts that need to rubbed.
Escudo Navy De Luxe: Good stuff, like the above more though.
Savinelli's Doblone d'Oro: Really good, can't complain.
Capstan Blue Flake: First one that I tried, love the fold n' stuff method. The mild VA is nice depending on the day
Erinmore Flake: Feel the same way as Capstan, though I think I read Tolkien smoked the Capstan Blue Flake, so apparently I care about that.
C&D Haunted Bookshop: Have not enjoyed it. Rather Ho-hum, I suppose.

All of this to say, out of what I have tasted and the way I am headed in the near future, what recommendations for beyond tasting? I would like to give burleys a better chance, as I have noticed some distaste for Haunted Bookshop around the interwebz. Old Joe Krantz has been recommended, but I don't care for "stronger Haunted Bookshop" I think I am not enjoying its flavor. I have it jarred and will return to it in 6 mos to a year, as a kind forum member recommended. I think I enjoy the English blends. Pardon my beginner's...enthusiasm.

Thank you for any and all ideas!

Clovis

Reactions: canucklehead

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sounds like you have tasted quite a lot and are getting to know what ya like.

Some suggestions:

St. Bruno
Aarrango Balkan Supreme
SG Skiff Mixture (if you can find it)
Peterson’s 3P
DMT Salty Dogs Plug
SG Kendal Cream (again, if you can find it)
SG 1792 Flake
GH Dark Flake
(you need to get a feel for some traditional British old world style tobaccos to see how ya fancy them.
Condor (depending on your location)

I personally think OJK is stronger than Haunted Bookshop and even a bit more rough around the edges so if you don’t like HB, I wouldn’t think you’d enjoy OJK at this point but maybe give it a shot down the road.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Smoke the rest of the bowls from the things you tried. Determine what genre of blends you prefer. I don't see how asking other people for recommendations for what you may like it's going to accomplish anything more than you having a ton of open tins lying around. I smoke mostly Virginia's, it sounds like you prefer English. How can my opinion help you? What really matters is what you like. Read through a week or two worth of thrrads here, is pretty clear what blends people prefer.

Clovis

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Thanks Hawky! Great recommendations, I have nearly pulled the trigger on a few of those, St Bruno and Balkan Supreme (thanks for mentioning Arango, I thought it was Wessex Balkan Supreme that was being spoken of). Am I correct in assuming that SG and GH are examples of the traditional British old world style tobacco I should try? Are there others that come to mind easily? Thanks again for your input!

Hoosier, thanks for piping up (heh). I hear what you're saying, certainly a fair point. I think I may be smoking some of them slower than others, as it depends on the mood for me. They're all jarred, so I'm not terribly worried about finishing them and I smoke a lot, so they'll be consumed in good time.

I like the opinions here, everyone is pretty forthcoming with information and all of it is taken in through my own lens, but it's still valuable. Alas, the two most limited resources, time and money, have a play over my collection, so this is why I reach out and ask for more experienced opinions, with some of my own background information in play, and to see what happens. I think it's obvious I like Latakia, but I'm unsure how much of that has to do with the blending of Perique, Orientals, VA, etc ...only reason why I'm asking. Thanks for your input!

Reactions: gerryp and hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks Hawky! Great recommendations, I have nearly pulled the trigger on a few of those, St Bruno and Balkan Supreme (thanks for mentioning Arango, I thought it was Wessex Balkan Supreme that was being spoken of). Am I correct in assuming that SG and GH are examples of the traditional British old world style tobacco I should try? Are there others that come to mind easily? Thanks again for your input!

Hoosier, thanks for piping up (heh). I hear what you're saying, certainly a fair point. I think I may be smoking some of them slower than others, as it depends on the mood for me. They're all jarred, so I'm not terribly worried about finishing them and I smoke a lot, so they'll be consumed in good time.

I like the opinions here, everyone is pretty forthcoming with information and all of it is taken in through my own lens, but it's still valuable. Alas, the two most limited resources, time and money, have a play over my collection, so this is why I reach out and ask for more experienced opinions, with some of my own background information in play, and to see what happens. I think it's obvious I like Latakia, but I'm unsure how much of that has to do with the blending of Perique, Orientals, VA, etc ...only reason why I'm asking. Thanks for your input!
Yes, SG & GH are great examples of some traditional British tabaccos, St. Bruno is another one, it’s an all time favorite of mine, it’s readily available and the RR is quite affordable (to be fair I don’t know what the current prices are but I can’t imagine they’ve gone up that much since I was was stocking up on it a few years back. I actually prefer the Ready Rubbed to the Flake, works in my favor as it’s 4 to 5 dollars cheaper than the flake and it is literally the same tobacco, they just put the flakes in a tumbler so they are slightly rubbed out. Great dark VA’s with some Dark Fired Kentucky topped with a whisper of a complex floral essence, it’s just wonderful in my opinion and definitely recommend every smoker tries it at least once.
Aarrango BS is just a superb English blend and it’s very inexpensive. I was so surprised when I finally got around to trying it, it’s up there with some of the best English blends on the market in my opinion.

Ya might want to try the Plum Pudding Barrel Aged too! I absolutely love the stuff!

Also, if you want to try something with Orientals up front give McConnell's Oriental a try, it’s one of my favorite Oriental blends on the market.

Definitely give plugs a shot too... it took me awhile to come around to them but once I did, I prefer a plug cut to any other cut, it delivers a rich depth that is unparalleled in my opinion. Peterson’s Perfect Plug is a great introduction.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I second the opinion for plug. It is prepared under tremendous compression which adds depth, richness and melding. Most of the presses are in Europe, but C&D has one thus allowing them to make plug from their tobaccos, as well as Pease and Hermit Tobacco. Plug is only available with select blends; flake is sliced plug and far more widespread.

Recommendations: I would smoke what you already have because the task of business is to make you dissatisfied with what you have so you will keep spending. They're very good at this. Remember marketing? See the relentless adds?
Nowhere is this more evident than with pipe smokers' "cellaring"/hoarding tobacco, which because inexpensive, invites repeat buying.

What greater satisfaction will you have when you have a 500 lb cellar compared to the modest amount of tobacco that you know have? None. Satisfaction comes from the tobacco that you are smoking right now.

Same for pipes, which although intriguing, and whose shaping can be described in exquisite detail and debated endlessly, add nothing to your satisfaction other than the enjoyment you are getting from the pipe you are smoking now.

Did I exercise restraint with pipes and tobacco? No way, and thus I spent far too much money. I sense that you want to do pipe smoking correctly, but beware the ethos of the forums. Guys are forever crowing about their latest pipe and tobacco purchases. It's infectious. Again, did I do this? Yeah man. It was what everyone else was doing, and evidently spending freely was the way to go. I wish I had had only a dozen briars and 10 cobs and chose between three bags of modestly priced bulk such as GH makes.

The pipe world, like everything else in the West, and now the East, given the rapacity of American culture, is about having more stuff (see George Carlin's routine of the same name). Stuff will never equate to being in the moment, smoking good quality tobacco (GH bulk) in a good quality pipe (Savinelli) with at least adequate technique.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rugger2DU

Clovis

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Much appreciated, sounds like a plug! Is coming next, to me. Thanks for sharing, that sounds tasty.

I hear what you're saying re: ads. I abhor the industry, more of what it has become, and naively believe that it doesn't affect me. In my more foolhardy days, seeing an ad would make me purposefully purchase from direct competitors or outright opposites. But yes, I do see a prevailing culture of "more"

Really, hopefully, it's folks that like to show off what they've worked hard to earn, and I get that too. Many times, it goes too far. We are but humans. I was reaching out as my supply has dwindled significantly, and with my inexpertise (is this not a word like 'irregardless' isn't a word, hmm) I wanted to showcase what I've tried, thinking it was the old world/traditional tobaccos I was enjoying more of, and wanting to hear that affirmation from others who likely knew much more than I on the topic. Pipes, too, I can see, but are much more expensive and so my wallet/wife keeps me in check there. Though I am looking to add one more stalwart, I will likely scrimp and save for a Stanwell HCA for its versatility. Open to recommendations! Hah.

Cheers to referencing Carlin, and letting me go back and watch another great one!

I've much reading to do on these blends, thanks again for your input, everyone!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have a worthy variety of blends. Note the ones you like, their genre and constituent tobaccos, and for now focus on those. The ones you do not like, I'd jar and try again in a year. Most peoples' tastes change, and age can improve a blend considerably. I'd take it gradually and don't assume you know a blend on the first go around. For a few years, I'd keep the quantity of any purchase small, an ounce or two, one tin, one pouch.

Reactions: gerryp

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
As a Latakia fan, you really should try Pirate Kake and Spark Plug.

I have a lot of partially smoked tins (in Mason jars). It's nice to have options. :col:

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.