PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deyomatic

Lurker
Oct 27, 2010
I re-started smoking a pipe a couple of months ago. A coworker recommended I try a blend that a local tobacconist has in their shop, so I grabbed some. I really like it but am looking for something a bit different. I picked up a couple of Peterson blends (Irish Whiskey and Sweet Killarney) and found them both to be spicier than I wanted. I am wondering if anyone could recommend some more smooth and sweet blends I can try out. I'd LIKE to find something from a major brand just so I can order more with a mouse click, instead of having to drive 40 miles to buy more.

Thanks.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Deyomatic, we're glad to have you aboard.

That's a good question.

That's an easy one....

Lane 1Q...

It is smooth, no bite, mildly sweet, excellent room note, excellent pouch note, packs easily, it burns very well, and it won't bust the budget.
Just because it comes in a tin doesn't always make it better than the bulk stuff.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'm a huge fan of Villiger 1888 Mid Day. It's tasty, smooth, and smokes cool. Also, it's available on most online tobacco purveyors. Also, while not a "sweet" blend, Lane Ltd.'s 1-Q (which many times goes under another name in smoke shops) shouldn't be missed.
Hope this helps.
-Jason

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I always advise new pipers to start with Rince Albert until they get the hang of it and then try samplers from the major etailers. PA is smooth, does not bite, it stays lit well, it will build a cake fast, and it will give you a good general tobacco taste.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
Lordnoble is correct. If you go to your local baccy shop and ask for their version of 1Q, they will know what you are talking about. At my local, it is called Wilshire.

StrongIrish, I stll havent tried Prince Albert. It is on my list. Tried some Half/Half recently, wasn't real impressed.....

deyomatic

Lurker
Oct 27, 2010
Wait a minute...Are you telling me that I can walk into any gas station in America and buy a package of Prince Albert, and it's actually GOOD? I've got to sit down...I'm still in cigar mentality.

Looks like I'll have to pick some up. I'll also look for some of the Sunset Breeze from Peterson. I lean toward Peterson because in my opinion, Ireland is the greatest place I've ever been.
Now, I've used both of my pipes already, mostly with a blend from a local shop. When I purchased what I have, I asked the tobacconist for any other recommendations and he said that I should smoke what I bought and tell him what I liked or disliked about it because he didn't want to "confuse [me] or the pipe." How do I know what will "confuse" the pipe?
Thanks to all.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Prince Albert is good.Don't forget Sir Walter Raleigh either. My very first pipe tobacco in 19*mumble*. A while back.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I would definitely recommend 1Q or Prince Albert. Both are readily available from a number of internet sources, along with Wally World (at least PA is there). I would suggest 4noggins.com for the above blends. They have a rather large section of similar blends under "drug store blends." They do offer many of them in 2 ounce sample packs at reasonable prices. The Lane 1Q would be under the bulk tobacco section, which is rather extensive as well.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the "confused pipe" comment refers to ghosting, or residual tastes remaining in the pipe that influence the taste of subsequent smokes. BTW, that tobacconist sounds like the kind of guy you should listen to. After you've followed his advice, ask him for 1-Q -- sold under several aliases. He'll know...

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Over time you will find that the pipe favors a blend or perhaps several that impart a flavor that is unique to that pipe . Confessions of a PAD addict #23 or honey I need a new pipe excuse #18 .

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
All good suggestions here....but be prepared to have your reaction to any given tobacco be somewhat different than someone else. Our personal physiologic chemistry and environment is quite variable.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
Maintaining the "keep it simple" theme, let us not forget the old drugstore standby. Captain Black is a gentle smoke with a generous dose of black cavendish to keep bystanders smiling. Give it a try.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
My local Supermarket carries Captain Black "Royal" in the navy blue pouch which I personally feel is very similar to 1Q..but what do I know anyway? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.