PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottie B

Lurker
Jan 4, 2023
I bought a Tobacco Barn aromatic sampler and still waiting for the package to arrive. But maybe someone could give me a recommendation in the meantime.

I was taking a walk the other day and smelled the most amazing aroma. I followed the scent trail and found a gentleman smoking a caramel flavoured cigar. I loved it. Hoping to find something similar for my pipe. Sweet and creamy. Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m fighting the urge to go buy a couple of those caramel cigars, which are easy to find, while I wait for my pipe tobacco package to arrive. I’ve smoked cigars in the past and so far like the pipe smoking experience much more, but that cigar sure smelled nice.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I see a lot of flavored cigars being smoked at travel centers, truck stops, out in the parking lots. I think some of them smell nice, others not so nice, and some just stink. They all smell different to me than pipe tobacco tho. However I suspect the aromatic sampler is the way to go if that’s the thing you’re looking for.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke non-aromatics first, with various aromatics as a change of pace. I like the aromatics that use the flavoring to set off the tobacco and not as an end in itself. If I want a caramel sundae, I'll make one. But aromatics are the sales leaders by far, and many pipe smokers like sweet food flavors most of all, so there will never be a shortage of dessert-like aromatic blends. Aromatics sales are about ninety percent of the market, so they carry the non-aromatic market.

Reactions: alexnc and Deano

Scottie B

Lurker
Jan 4, 2023
😂 I typed out a book that would have made no sense. I read what you wrote wrong I wasn't wearing my glasses. Did you get the name of the cigar?
I didn’t. I live in Chile and there are tons of small cigars sold her that come in tins. It was a nice smell that travelled quite a distance but I suspect it was a local brand of cheap cigar.

Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I didn’t. I live in Chile and there are tons of small cigars sold her that come in tins. It was a nice smell that travelled quite a distance but I suspect it was a local brand of cheap cigar.
Maybe get some Blending Cigar Leaf pipe tobacco and some Caramel pipe tobacco then mix it yourself. Probably as close as you will get.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
A great beginner for me (still at that stage) is a four ounce bag of Lane Burley Light/Without Bite (BL/WB). Smooth forgiving burner without aro bite and sweet with a little vanilla.
I buy ounces or two of different (usually Sutliff) bulk aros, and mix up small batches of the BLWB and stuff like Sunset Rum, Lane Black Raspberry, Sutliff 805 (licorice). If a bowl or two is good, I jar a mix of a couple ounces with the recipe labeled.
I now have a good sized batch of a daily mix, and am picking up other tinned blends of all genres to really find out where my tastes lie.