PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The closest match would be Dunhill Navy Rolls.
But to branch out from Escudo I would recommend Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and, with some Kentucky, McConnell's Scottish Cake. Another good one to try would be GL Pease's Fillmore. (And if you like that Kentucky twang from Scottish Cake, try GL Pease's Cumberland.)
Visually similar, but with some added sweetness from the Cavendish core, try Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Escudo is a fine tobacco with some teeth.
I suggest GL Pease Haddo's Delight. It is the only tobacco you need, really.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
If you're looking for things similar to Escudo, then Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls is very similar, some even say they are the same, but I say they are slightly different. Also, you may want to try Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, Comoy's Cask No. 7, and Davidoff Flake Medallions. All three of these are Va/Per coins with an unsweetened black cavendish center. Some say that they are all the same, the verdict is still out with me on this.
If you want a loose cut, give McClelland's 221b Black Shag a try. The description says that it's all stoved black Virginia, but I swear there is a little Perique in it, either way it's good!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
sallow, you are a man after my own heart.

And don't forget your cellar.
I've smoked my share of Fillmore as well, and have a tin or two socked away.
I've got about a pound of Haddo's aging. I had a bowl the other day from a small stash that has been sitting in the bottom of a large mason jar for a year or so. It is a fantastic smoke.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I third or fourth the Fillmore recommendation. It's amazing.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
One of the other nice perks of Escudo is that aged Escudo is pretty different from fresh Escudo. If you buy a quantity, then enjoy trying different batches at different levels of age.
While some claim Dunhill Navy Rolls is slightly different, my exhausted taste buds can't tell a difference.
Any high end Va/Per is worth exploring too like SG St James Flake.
The bargain option (which isn't really close IMHO) is PS Luxury Bullseye Flake.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Love me some Escudo. Oldest I've got is some A&C. I will not stop until I find a sample of some Cope's to try.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Hal O the Wynd would be my suggestion. Completely different really, but if you like Escudo, I think you will love it. Less Perique, more Virginia. A little stronger. Sublime smoke every time.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
St. James Flake would be worth a try and you might enjoy P.S. Luxury Navy Flake as well.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
If you really like the perique then give John Patton's Cool Hand Fluke a try. I read somewhere that it has

40% perique in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.