PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
I was a cigar smoker and looked for a similar experience when I started smoking a pipe. Funnily enough I very quickly settled on pipe blends that were nowhere near the cigar experience.
Nowadays I smoke a nice Havana when I fancy a good cigar. In my pipe I prefer virginia and English blends!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If you like English Blends and also like cigars you should really try the new AJ Fernandez Spectre.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
C&D's Milk and Honey, smoking it right now. I can see cigar smokers liking it, as I smoke cigars as well.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've never smoked Key Largo, but I think it would complement the flavor of the cigars to which you're accustomed very well.
But what about taking an entirely different tack? Pipe tobacco is more variable than cigar tobacco. VA, VA Perique, burley, oriental, latakia and all the mixtures of these main categories. If I had started with cigars, not pipes, coming to the wide taste differences that pipe tobacco affords, I can see myself being in a wonderland of taste. Why not smoke something that is completely different than cigars, which I would say is straight VA. You might love it!

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I'm a former cigar smoker (although I still light a stick now and again). When I was smoking cigars, I enjoyed the more full bodied smokes. However, as a pipe smoker, I have found that I like the aromatics more than the english blends. My point is this. Try several. Ask people to suggest different blends (both aro and non-aro blends) then try those out. Most of the tobacco that I smoke regularly was suggested by either a friend or through this forum. Pipe Tobacco is fairly cheap, typically less than $3/oz when bought in bulk, or $6-$10 for 1.5+ oz tins (see Sutliff Privite Stock, their 1.5 oz tins are about $6 and are really good blends). Some tins can cost more, but by the time you are buying those, you'll probably have a pretty good idea what your particular tastes are and what you want to smoke.
Good Luck!

Jan 8, 2013
Im gonna go with the herd on this one and say that you definitely want to try some various blends to just see what you like. When I started off I bought a handful of aromatics, then I went back and bought about an ounce each of a few other, English and Va's mostly. In the end, I mostly smoke aro's, as my wife seems to be more tolerable of the smell.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
I'm a new pipe smoker coming from cigars. I started with two (I believe) VA/PER's Escudo and Orlick Golden Slices. I also tried C&D Bayou Night (English Blend) and Frog Morton On the Town (another English blend). The VA/Per's I am really kind of struggling with. My problem right now is I can't pack the damn pipe correctly and I keep smoking too fast. I think I am expecting smoke volume like a cigar, which you just don't get. I'm having a lot of trouble learning to just sip slowly. Because of that, although the taste of the VA/PER's isn't bad to me, they bite/burn my tongue and mouth.
The english blends although I have to relight ever 30 seconds are much better tasting to me. The Frog Morton On the Town is really good. Creamy and med-full. I really want to try some aero's but I would like to learn to smoke a little better before I do.
I initially bought to cobs, a General and a Country Gentlemen. The General definitely had a cob taste at first and its so big I struggle with it. The Country Gentlemen didn't have that cob taste and really smokes great. I then bought a cheap briar and my first smoke with it was horrible. Couldn't keep it lit, it got real moist at the bottom of the bowl. So, back to the country gent for now.
Work in progress.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
I'm predominately a pipe smoker but I smoke cigars through the week as well Punch,Diesel,Joya de Nicaragua,Hoyo,Nica Libre....the only pipe tobacco I've use that can measure up to that taste and body is Peterson's Irish Flake :wink:

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
My problem right now is I can't pack the damn pipe correctly and I keep smoking too fast. I think I am expecting smoke volume like a cigar, which you just don't get. I'm having a lot of trouble learning to just sip slowly. Because of that, although the taste of the VA/PER's isn't bad to me, they bite/burn my tongue and mouth.
The english blends although I have to relight ever 30 seconds are much better tasting to me. The Frog Morton On the Town is really good. Creamy and med-full. I really want to try some aero's but I would like to learn to smoke a little better before I do.
You're probably smoking the tobacco too moist, you do get huge plumes of smoke from a pipe, I find I get more smoke from a pipe than a cigar usually. VaPer's and Va's are more for experienced pipe smokers, I suggest you stick with english blends for the meantime. It takes awhile to get it down pat, usually a good 6 months, and then it's like riding a bike. Pack on the lighter side and tamp down, a good rule is fill the pipe loosely, pat it down to a 3rd, fill it again, pack it down to half, fill the last 3rd and slightly tamp it again. You should be able to pull air through the packed bowl as if you were sipping a straw.

cauffrey

Lurker
Jan 6, 2014
Well, here are my initial impressions-I seem to like everything I try. Have tried 1Q, RLP-6, BCA, Burley w/o Bite all from Lane, and Virginia Flake from Iwan Reis. I have a British Medium from Reis yet to try, as well as a cherry blend. I do like the pure tobacco taste of the Virginia & Burley. Someone suggested mixing the Burley with BCA, sounds good to me as well.
I have come to realize that smoking an aromatic is much like planting a tree-you do it for others as much as for yourself.
Cheers!
Chris

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Basically the tobacco shouldn't be crispy, when you pinch it it should be kind of spongy almost, plus blends like frog morton and anything by McClelland's requires a good amount of drying time, like I'll pop a tin and open it up every day for a week and put the top back on to let it breathe, or you can just take out a bowls worth and let it dry for aboutr 30 minutes usually does the trick. Just keep at it, alot of people I know are on the verge of giving up and suddenly it's like eureka!! I've got it!

Jul 12, 2011
Been smoking cigars for over 20yrs...still enjoy a good cigar now & then, but pipe bacci offers SO much more....enjoy the ride brother, welcome :puffy:
Some Suggestions you might enjoy...this list should keep you busy

Solani's Aged Burley Flake, 660 and 633

MB's Old Dark Fired

C&D's Billy Budd

C&D's Crooked Lane

C&D's Bow-Legged Bear

GL Pease's JackKnife Plug

Dunhill's London Mix, Nightcap and Flake

MC's Black Shag

MC's 3 Oaks Syrian

MC's Tudor Castle

MC"s Frogs

L.J. Peretti's Omega and Royal

cauffrey

Lurker
Jan 6, 2014
Thanks for all the advice I'm smoking the bulks for now and very happy. I don't smoke all that much so it is a real treat when I do. Looking forward to some better weather & a chance to get outside with my pipe.
Cheers-
Chris

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I also smoke cigars,and really enjoy GLP key largo.

I also really like this blend. Every once in a while the hint of cigar sneaks up on you.
I also tend to go for the stronger blends like Haddo's Delight and Peterson's University Flake. I like short, fat cigars, just like me.

sabuj12

Lurker
Feb 20, 2014
You just may enjoy aromatics... pipe tobacco. its different from cigar .i like personally Virginia flakes .

Status
Not open for further replies.