PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2020
Hello,
I am relatively new to pipe smoking, I started about 3 months ago. I've tried a handful of different tobaccos but not enough to distinguish between different types of tobacco (virginia, burley, latakia, etc). At my local shop I came upon a tin of Lane Limited's La Gloria Cubana, which I fell in love with. My favorite tobacco prior to this one was Dunhills Early Morning Pipe. Well, La Gloria Cubana is apparently discontinued and I have been searching for a suitable replacement. If I can remember what La Gloria Cubana tasted like, with my limited tobacco vocabulary, I would describe it as bright, golden, earthy, and smoky. I enjoyed it all day, but especially in the mornings. If anyone has tried LGC or something similar, and can recommend me a new tobacco blend, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Davidoff Royalty may fit the bill. I am not a latakia guy so take my recommendation with a pinch of salt. I am smoking through an old can Royalty now and like it quite a bit. I get mainly Virginias and Orientals with a hint of Lat.

Reactions: anotherbob
Nov 22, 2020

Looks like a oriental forward balkan, with light Latakia and Perique. Can’t think of something exactly the same, but try the following

1. Arango Balkan Supreme
2. Peterson Nightcap
3. C&D Rajah’s Court
Thanks for the reply.
I have Nightcap, and I thoroughly enjoy it. Maybe it's simply because of marketing, but I consider Nightcap and Early Morning as two sides of the same coin--Nightcap tasting darker and more chocolate-y and EMP tasting brighter, but with similar bases. LGC was my replacement for EMP. I know I like EMP, so I wanted to try comparable blends in case I like something better. I'll certainly look into those recommendations. Thanks!

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I would have thought that blends that contain cigar leaf would be the direction to look? Nightcap and Royalty are not in that direction? (maybe my taste buds are not educated enough but....... I do smoke those cigars....)

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
GL Pease Westminster might scratch the itch.

Plenty of Oriental and Virginia character with Latakia to balance.

labrax

Lurker
Jul 12, 2017
Central Massachusetts
I would say order up a sample of Billy Budd from Cornell & Diehl & Habana Daydream as each has cigar leaf in them. I liked both and am just about out of Billy Budd. I bought the Billy Budd Blonde and have not gone through enough of it yet, but first impressions are one that I will happily smoke, but likely not purchase again.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

labrax

Lurker
Jul 12, 2017
Central Massachusetts
Tried to edit original reply, but timed out. Another one you may want to check out is Key Largo from GL Pease. It is one I want to try myself. The reviews are very favorable.

I smoked cigars for about 10 years and loved LGC - even have a picture somewhere with Ernesto Perez-Carrillo, probably at the Ex's place.....

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Tried to edit original reply, but timed out. Another one you may want to check out is Key Largo from GL Pease. It is one I want to try myself. The reviews are very favorable.

I smoked cigars for about 10 years and loved LGC - even have a picture somewhere with Ernesto Perez-Carrillo, probably at the Ex's place.....
Those cigar branded pipe tobaccos were a limited run, and none of them contained one bit of cigar leaf to my knowledge. I thought about ordering a tin of the LGC, because I used to smoke those cigars years ago, and I may or may not have a thing for the girl on the cigar bands. ?
I wanted a tin just for the tin art, but never bought one.
Billy Budd and Habana Daydream are some of my favorites, but won’t taste anything like what the OP was smoking.

Some that might tick most of the same boxes, that haven’t been mentioned yet:

C&D Star of the East
Sutliff BSOMM
GLP Spark Plug

Reactions: labrax and cshubhra

labrax

Lurker
Jul 12, 2017
Central Massachusetts
Those cigar branded pipe tobaccos were a limited run, and none of them contained one bit of cigar leaf to my knowledge. I thought about ordering a tin of the LGC, because I used to smoke those cigars years ago, and I may or may not have a thing for the girl on the cigar bands. ?
I wanted a tin just for the tin art, but never bought one.
Billy Budd and Habana Daydream are some of my favorites, but won’t taste anything like what the OP was smoking.

Some that might tick most of the same boxes, that haven’t been mentioned yet:

C&D Star of the East
Sutliff BSOMM
GLP Spark Plug

Star of the East is great. I just ordered a tin of Star of the East Flake and GL Pease's Odyssey today along with Pirate Kake. If the OP is looking for a wonderful oriental/latakia Balkan style mix - then Arango's Balkan Supreme is an affordable bulk smoke that is fantastic to me and seems to be well reviewed. I have some older stuff and just ordered more a few weeks ago.

Was checking out Key Largo on an online retailers website - they still offer it and cigar leaf is listed as the main component. Again, I have not smoked it - just going off of what is listed on a respected online retailers description of it.

Tastes are so subjective it is hard to recommend something for someone starting. I started with English blends after I tried 1-Q and smoked them for a bit but then fell out of love with latakia, now years later I am ordering Pirate Kake, and smoking a bowl of Super Balkan as I type this.....lol.

Have a good night.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Was checking out Key Largo on an online retailers website - they still offer it and cigar leaf is listed as the main component. Again, I have not smoked it - just going off of what is listed on a respected online retailers description of it.
If you like cigar leaf blends, Key Largo is a must-try in my opinion. ?

Reactions: labrax
Nov 22, 2020
Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

After trying those 4 aforementioned blends, I concluded at GL Pease Westminster was the most similar blend. I really enjoy it, and I feel it has blurred my memory and I can't remember was LGC tasted like enough to say how they are different. Rajah's Court was too delicate--not bold or spicy enough. Quiet Nights was more similar to Nightcap than anything else, but I guess that's to be expected? The Balkan Supreme bulk blend came in second. Very similar to LGC but a bit milder.

I'll keep looking into those other recommendations, though. I like the direction you guys are pointing me in.

Reactions: cshubhra
Status
Not open for further replies.