PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I want to give credit where credit is due. I had Clark Layton make a "Custom Pipe" for me and the entire process was first class. He accommodated my every request and the level of service was a good as I have ever experienced. Price is more than fair for what you get. He really cares about the internal function of the pipe in addition to the external details. Best of both world's in my opinion. Based on my most excellent experience, please do yourself a favor and consider him for your next custom pipe.
http://www.laytonpipes.com/custom-pipe.html

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I kind of felt bad asking him to do something pedestrian like a smooth Zulu, so it is a one of a kind Clark Zulu. but as they say, "It is your train Jesse, you can rob it anyway you like." I told him my favorite stain was the "Golden Contrast" and he did a great job on the stain. No one, including Eltang, is doing Golden Contrast. He sent pictures of the unfinished stain and I was impressed, even more so after finishing and even more so in person.
layton-zulu-3-600x400.jpg

layton-zulu-2-600x399.jpg

layton-zulu-4-399x600.jpg

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I've been admiring Clark's work on facebook for a while and if I ever get back into briar pipes I'm looking him and Zack up for a couple of commissions.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Clark does first rate work. I have a commission in with him right now. Easy to deal with, responsive and man he puts out a nice pipe for a great price.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

That's a nice looking zulu! Congratulations on the new pipe. I don't know Clark, but the few times I've crossed paths with him at shows he seems like a really nice guy and his work speaks for itself. I'm currently commissioning a pipe with another carver, but will keep Clark in mind for a future commission. Enjoy your new pipe and thanks for sharing the pics.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This is my Clark Layton pipe.
(Yes, it says "Dunhill" but that's because he was trying to fool me. He's a sneaky one.)
-----------------
sZDRmQr.jpg

ljAJPL4.jpg

Hvubfg7.jpg

E14KjyD.jpg

FZogf7G.jpg

uUGvjq7.jpg

mm0nOTh.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
An early effort it seems.
You'd think so, but it was only six or eight months ago.
What I THINK is happening there in central PA is that "Clark's" pipes are actually made by his sister, and he's like her manager/promoter or something. The pipe in the above pics was his first attempt to actually make a pipe himself. Thought he could fool me by putting "Dunhill" on it.
Anyway, I'm not quite sure what's going on other than I'm 100% sure that that "Dunhill" actually IS his work.
I'm sure he'll be along directly to try to straighten all this up, in any event. (Be careful what you believe, though. As I said, he's a sneaky one.)

laytonpipes

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
Thank you Jackswilling for taking the time to post this. I am glad you like the pipe. Also thank you everyone for the compliments.
GEORGE,

I WILL TYPE IN ALL CAPS BECUASE I KNOW YOU ARE VERY OLD AND PROBABLY HAVE POOR EYESIGHT. I AM VERY PROUD OF THAT PIPE THAT I REPAIRED AND SENT YOU. I BOUGHT IT AT GOODWILL FOR $1.99 EVEN THOUGH IT WAS NOT WORTH THAT AT THE TIME. LATER I ADDED A VENT HOLE IN THE SIDE AND FITTED THE SHANK SNUGGLY WITH A CLASSIC REPAIR BAND IN THE SAME MANNER THAT YOU REPAIRPEOPLES DO. THE STEM AND BUTTON WORK IS ALREADY TOP NOTCH , SO I DIDN'T ALTER IT AT ALL. WHEN DEALING WITH A VERY NICE EXPENSIVE PIPE LIKE THIS, I AM A NATURALIST, I PREFER TO LEAVE THE PIPE AS CLOSE TO ORIGINAL CONDITION AS POSSIBLE. THANK YOU GEORGE FOR POSTING. I HAVE BEEN WAITING MONTHS FOR YOU TO FINISH RESTORING THIS PIPE. I CAN SEE YOU HAVE DONE NO WORK AT ALL. HAVE A GOOD ONE, CLARK

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OK Clark, here ya go.
I didn't realize you sent it to be restored. My bad.
So, I just now took a few minutes and finished it. (You didn't say you wanted the carburetor side-vent kept, so as much as it hurt to see such a brilliant design feature wasted, authenticity demanded it be removed/filled in.)
To make up for my mistake, there is no charge for the work.
The PO rate to central PA recently went up a smidge, though, so return shipping will be $74,865.33
-
Hoxwj79.jpg

laytonpipes

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
George,
I am amazed at what you can do with some wood putty and a magic marker. Thank you very much. The pipe looks just like it did when it was new. No need to ship it, please bring it with you to Chicago next year. Have a good one, Clark

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Beautiful pipe, Jack. Wasn't sure about the Golden Contrast at first, but it's growing on me fast.
It's striking.
And, pal, there's nothing pedestrian about your new Layton.
George and Clark, that was the funniest exchange I've read here in weeks. Thank you!
Fnord

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I saw the pictures on Clayton's website and was amazed by his work: really beautiful well done pipes.

I would like to ask him (if this is not a secret) what he use for the bowl coating.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That Zulu is stunning and a favorite shape of mine. I am also the proud owner of one of Clark's pipe. It's a strawberry wood bent apple. Light as a feather and smokes like a dream. You'll never go wrong with one of Clark's creations.
auvPdwu.jpg

0QHKRvt.jpg

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
^^^ That is as good looking as it gets. I really like the way he worked the blast and left some beauty of the "natural' grain. At times all the original briar grain is obscured. Here you see some crazy nice "original" grain. I have never seen anything like it. Good for you.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Seriously, Clark and/or George, are you ribbing each other or U2 really don't get along??? Hard to tell.
We absolutely despise each other with a singular passion. Just yesterday I drove from Missouri to Pennsylvania to beat him over the head with a baseball bat, but we met in Ohio by accident in the middle of the road because he was driving to Missouri to do the same thing to me.
So, we ended up tossing the bats aside and shot at each other with handguns until we ran out of ammo, and when neither of us landed a killing shot we set upon each other with our teeth and fingernails. The fight lasted almost six hours. There was so much blood we were almost swimming in it, and people for miles in every direction were fainting from shock at our savagery.
We both made it back home last night somehow, though. I'm sure because he called not 30 minutes ago to let me know when we healed up it would be back on, and next time he planned on napalming my house using an attack helicopter. So, naturally, I told HIM to give it his best shot because I planned on kidnapping him before then and torturing him in a dungeon for a year with Amazonian Bullet Ants.
:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.