PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’m considering a new pipe or two, but something a bit more petite than my usual preference.

Specifically, I’m thinking about a pipe for strong ropes and plugs with a smaller bowl.

Generally I prefer group 4-5 pipes that are decent size but I’m wanting a few smaller pipes.

I’ve got a pair of Wilmer Featherlights that are fantastic and one tiny Grabow and one 1930s Linkman’s that fit the bill nicely but I’m working them pretty hard lately and would like a few more.

I’ve seen some Dunhills that are in the zone.

The French pipes I have, while generally smaller overall, have fairly large bowls.

I’m going to buy a Bantam bowl or two for my Falcon, since the regular bowls are on the small side, so the Bantams should be perfect.

Anyone have a favorite plug or rope pipe they’d recommend?

Ideally the pipe itself wouldn’t be that petite, since I like a full-size pipe. Just with a narrow, smallish chamber. That’s my only complaint with the Wilmers, they really are quite small. Lovely pipes, but I always feel they are tiny in the hand and I feel a bit like I’m smoking a kid’s pipe. ?

Reactions: hauntedmyst

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
Go on Instagram, and look up GarageMadePipeTool. He does smaller pipes, and I adore the Lovat I got from him a few months back, smokes like a dream. Also, his prices are reasonable, and I've never seen him list a new pipe for over $150 inclusive of shipping.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Check out Ropp selection at SP, and Kaywoodie Saxon at PC. At Iwan Ries look at EWA, good quality French pipes at rock bottom prices. For a fine little Group 1, I like my Peterson Begique available from SP etc.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Ever heard of The French Pipe company? I've had my eye on one of their small billiards. I like some of those pencil shanks, but I cant find one anywhere close to what I am willing to spend on a pipe.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Good suggestions everyone.

I have 2 Ropp pipes and they’re both excellent but the bowls are normal .70-.75 so a bit large.

As Embers points out any pipe will do, but I don’t like smoking half bowls or packing too much and not smoking it all. Seems easier and more pleasant to smoke a full bowl in a smaller pipe. Yeah, I know, it’s in my head, but that’s okay.

I have considered that Belgique before because it’s a nice looking pipe! Have to check the chamber size.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many brands make small pipes, Group 2' and 3's, and some 1's, and most of the online retail sites are good about providing complete specifications on diameter and depth of chambers etc., and some sites have a search where you can pre-select to view pipes of the size you are looking for. So you have a wider range of brands, prices, finishes, etc. than just these suggestions (quite a few of them) on this thread. So, as the old saying goes, the world is your huckleberry.

Sewage Pipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 15, 2019
I have no idea how to even gauge a "group size" why not speak inches or millimeters like pipe merchants do? Ehh anyways, I don't smoke my ropes often, but when I do, I only use my cobs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The best online retailers spell out the specifications. Because Iwan Ries goes back to the 19th Century, they still use the Dunhill Group sizes, and that works with those who end up ordering several sizes of pipes from them, so you sort of learn what that means, but it is an art rather than a science. But SP, Al Fascia, PC, and others, give specs, chapter and verse, so you don't have to guess. Al Fascia gives both the English and the metric measures.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I love these. I have a medium to small bent apple, and It's all I have smoked for the past month. No resting a meerschaum, and it's pretty darn hard to ghost. If I had only one pipe, it would be one of these.

Tekin Billiard $89
Tekin Small Tomato $69
Tekin Dublin Purple Stem Plateau Top $179

The billiard and tomato may be too small. The dublin is banded which will make it last forever. I love the purple stem. I banded my apple because I was afraid of the stem breaking or splitting since it is a smaller stem.

Last edited:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Those last three (briars) really check the boxes! Petite but not tiny, small chamber, classic lines....

Great suggestions gentleman!

The meerschaums look nice too, but I haven’t been smoking meers much lately. Not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.