PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I made my own that was based off this one. I thought it looked really nice, and the one I made was really nice, but I wish I had made it a little bit bigger, so I fully plan to remake it.
20180510_101522-600x291.jpg

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
I have seen a really nice one yesterday. I get the newsletter from Frank, the owner of Sorring Owl & Sons. The model I'm talking about is the John Muir, well made! I own a pipe roll made by Frank when he started his Etsy shop and I can't recommend him enough!
8PipeRoll2_grande.jpg

8PipeRoll1_grande.jpg

8PipeRoll4_grande.jpg

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
He also makes a few smaller versions, the one I own is the Original Standard, perfect for 2 pipes, a lighter, cleaners and tamper and I put tobacco in a ziploc bag and it fits just right in one of the sides.
Leather_Pipe_Pouch_Standard_Rustic3_grande.jpg

Leather_Pipe_Pouch_Standard_Rustic1_grande.jpg

photo credits: SORRINGOWL & SONS

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I saw his stuff too when I was searching for one, but I thought I could make my own for a lot less, but his did look really nice. I was on the cheap at the time and still kind of am, so I couldn't really afford to buy the ones I liked.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
carolinachurchwarden, the one you made is very well made and as you use it more and more it will get a nice patina!

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I have this one... I remember paying closer to $25 because it was on sale at J Alan Pipes:
https://www.bradleymountain.com/collections/rolls-pouches/products/pipe-roll-charcoal
I like carolinachurchwarden's much better...

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
^^^I agree with homewaters^^^
Frank from https://sorringowlandsons.com makes a great pipe role. Many different configurations and styles as already mentioned.
Here is my Signature Pipe Pouch with flannel inlay. It is two years old and the patina is starting to show on the light blonde leather. So cool.
oXqSimj.jpg

lsUVDhg.jpg

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I have a Sorringowl (aka Frank) roll and would recommend it to anyone. That said, there are a lot of other solutions that may be more practical than a pipe roll.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
You can make your own by using an old leather bible case/cover...the kind that have a zipper to close it up with.

I made one and it is easy to do...most has been done already for you.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
@npod that's a beautiful pipe in your pictures, who's the maker if you don't mind me asking?

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I have one of these...I can't say anything other than praise for it. Great quality, wonderful leather, monogrammed, and good price:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/489464704/genuine-leather-pipe-tobacco-pouch-case?ref=related-1

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@npod that's a beautiful pipe in your pictures, who's the maker if you don't mind me asking?
Tom Richard. He's German. He is a wonderful carver, and a very nice guy.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Richard_Pipes
You can sometimes find his pipes at Blue Room Briars, and rarely at other retailers in the U.S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's hard to beat carolinachurchwarden's handmade roll, since it is smartly crafted and looks extra durable, and the sketching kit also looks durable and handy. I have a nice leather case that somewhat serves the purpose, but I also like an inexpensive nylon shaving kit, since it camouflages the pipes. No one wants to filch someone's toothbrush and deodorant. When public exposure is at hand, I do the shaving kit. The rolls and leather case do well for car trips, where ever you have control of your gear.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I purchased a bag from Neil Flancbaum of Smokin Holsters 15 years ago and can endorse the product and Neil. He makes pipe and cigar rollups as well. Here is a link:

http://www.smokinholsters.com/Pipe%20and%20Cigar%20Roll-Ups.html

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
How are you guys carrying these things around? I've had a Bradley Mountain one for a bit but to be honest it's just too big and it's easier to just put a pipe in my pocket with a lighter, and a pouch in my back pocket.
I guess more for stowing in bags for travel? I like them in theory but unless I'm traveling with a suitcase I never seem to have a use.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
The "PipeandPendulum" pipe rolls on etsy are of superb quality. Currently he's into backordering, taking a break, but his are the finest pipe rolls I have seen.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
How are you guys carrying these things around?
71tpU5iI7QL._UL1500_.jpg

I carry an EDC bag with me to work everyday. Might as well call it a murse, cause that's basically what it is. I use it to carry a crushable bucket hat, my pipe roll a couple knives, small flashlight, beard balm, beard oil, beard comb, my wallet, coin thingy that holds all my change, maybe a jar of a blend that goes back and forth between the office and home and I'm usually packing 2 pipes along with a few bags of different blends as well. The jarred blends are just to refill for either my office stash or home stash. I also carry a bandana or two, lip balm, and I think that's about it, but I could easily fir more.

Status
Not open for further replies.