PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
As you can see in my other post, I've had a sudden revelation that perhaps I like some light oriental blends. While I'm primarily a Virginia or VaPer smoker, as the cooler fall weather hits I enjoy some light Latakia blends, such as Frog Morton's Cellar or some of the GL Pease blends.
Yesterday, randomly, I tried some 2 year old Frog Morton Cellar for the first time and it was amazing. Smoked it again today and it was amazing.
So, I'm looking for some recommendations on things in a similar vein (not an oriental bomb please) to expand my palate.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Yesterday, randomly, I tried some 2 year old Frog Morton Cellar for the first time and it was amazing. Smoked it again today and it was amazing.
He means to say On the Town, of course--just clarifying!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Here's a few ... let me know if you've tried / liked any of these:
Planta Presbyterian Mixture

Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian

Rattray Red Rapparee

GLP Odyssey
Now ... you said no "bombs" but I'd be remiss to not include LJ Peretti Tashkent.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Oops. It is On The Town! Looking for some recommendations to open my world to Orientals. Because I'm impatient, I just ordered:
McClelland Wilderness

H&H White Knight (BlackHouse was out)

From Morton On the Town (gotta get more of that aging)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The sweetness in FMOTT comes from the Basma tobacco. Hearth & Home Magnum Opus has Basma in it and it is an exquisite blend. I'm sure there are others if you look for them.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture is a very good Oriental blend, slightly heavier than FMOTT, but should be enjoyable nonetheless.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
I very much like Frog Morton Across the Pond. The Latakia takes a background note and the orientals are very flavorful and delightful without overpowering.

I, myself, have not yet tried Cellar or On the Town. I plan to venture forthwith, but I wonder if Cellar will be more flat without having the orientals, and if On the Town will be any different seeing that it contains the same tobaccos as ACP. Anyone have thought's on this? Has anyone tried the whole series?

Status
Not open for further replies.