PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
Bit the bullet with the following order. I believe this is my third year now smoking a pipe and have yet to have any of the Rattray blends figured I’d buy some to smoke now and a extra tin of the ones that sounds like I would like to get a little bit of age and revisit. Also picked up a few cheap tampers and some more softy bits for the pipes I do use them on

Rattrays- Highland Targe​

Rattrays- Hal O' Wynd​

Quantity: 50 gram tin

Rattrays- Marlin Flake​

Rattrays- Old Gowrie​

Rattrays- Black Virginia​

Rattrays- Dark Fragrant​

Rattrays- Brown Clunee​

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
a gentleman and a scholar for sure his place has the most history and class of any pipe shop I’ve been to yet was a pleasure and honor to patron there.
Agree 100% -- George is a class act. His shop has been in business since 1975, and was a "must-stop" for me on my last visit to Raleigh. I later asked my daughter (who lives in NC and visits Raleigh regularly) to stop in and pick up an extra tin of tobacco for me and both she and her friend praised how nice George was to them. Looking forward to visiting again!

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
As the tobacco tour continues we stopped by Paps Cigar Co today in Lynchburg Virginia. It seems they are expanding their pipe/pipe tobacco section as of right now they have Petersons and Savinelli , some misc olive pipes and some random baskets. For tobacco in bulk they have Lane Limited and Peter Stokkebye arros and C&D tins maybe a dozen er so blends. There were these Catalogs that just came in 5 in a pack that I was eyeing and Connie? ( pretty sure that was her name) came up to me and asked me about what blends I meant when I said I was looking for something a bit stronger. She was so nice and receptive when I began to blurt out a bunch of random blends and explained that she wanted to know more about what to order and opened up the catalogs and as they were in packs of 5 gifted me one from each manufacture/producer. I was so grateful and nerded out a bit giving her a list of popular blends that she might want to stock. Her Grandfather smoked pipe and she wanted to keep that smoke around and has noticed that it’s making a comeback so she will be adding more to the section. Their prices are very competitive to online which is great for a local B&M. I will definitely be back around and see how this shop comes along as far as Cigars I know nothing but that’s what they do mainly the humidor was huge and packed there was plenty of nice seating and a great vibe, perfect place to relax and smoke and a chess board was set up with ashtrays ready , always a good sign.IMG_3905.jpg

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Pap’s is not far from me and I’m glad you had a good experience there. Will you be going to Milan Tobacconist in Roanoke next? It’s only an hour west of Lynchburg.
Came back down to Raleigh today and we will be visiting Chapel Hill.
Looking for a place to call a temporary home then the search for permanent residence will continue. No B&M in the area will be safe…

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Like others above, used the recent delivery of Rattray's to dealers to pick up several tins each of Red Rapparee and Black Mallory (also picked up a 500 mg bulk bag of Red Rapparee that I already jarred up so not shown in the photo), as well as a 1 lb box of MacBaren Old Dark Fired Flake, 4 tins of Fribourg & Treyer Vintage Flake and an extra 3 tins of Peterson's MyMixture 965. Life is good...

DSCN0187.JPG

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Blown away by this shop the star jewel in this crown of a pipe shop tour , though I still have to give it to George’s for old school charm and class.
The Red VA was dated 2017 and was brought back to the shop after the previous owner had past, only available there in house, glad I stopped in ,their pipe collection is world class, never seen so many beautiful Ser Jacopos.

Attachments

• IMG_3921.jpg
    IMG_3921.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3925.jpg
    IMG_3925.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3924.jpg
    IMG_3924.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 8
Jun 23, 2019
One for the shelf, and one for the storage box. Normally these would lean Latakia-heavy; I don't know what got into me. Oh, yeah, it's because I've never had these but I could like them...!

View attachment 177265

Interesting... A lot of these blends that I have come in the tall cylinder cans, have they all changed to flat rounds?

Looking at a tin of Brown Clunee I got from 2019/2020 I think and it's in a tall tin. Wonder when they made the switch

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Interesting... A lot of these blends that I have come in the tall cylinder cans, have they all changed to flat rounds?

Looking at a tin of Brown Clunee I got from 2019/2020 I think and it's in a tall tin. Wonder when they made the switch

Assuming I am reading your post correct, its the difference in weight.

The small flat round ones are 50g while the cylindrical taller ones are 100g.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

I've no idea, these are firsts for me...
Oh, I see the 100g vs 50g explanation. Yep.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Status
Not open for further replies.