PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any mostly burley or all burley blend, with equal part of Virgina or Va/Per, with a hefty pinch of black unflavored Cavendish is going to be quite good to many if not most smokers. You can replace the Cavendish with cigar leaf for a change. Juggle the proportions to find your sweet spot.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Any mostly burley or all burley blend, with equal part of Virgina or Va/Per, with a hefty pinch of black unflavored Cavendish is going to be quite good to many if not most smokers. You can replace the Cavendish with cigar leaf for a change. Juggle the proportions to find your sweet spot.
Agreed. I’ve mixed VA #1 with Carter Hall 50/50 and it’s a nice mix. What will the cavendish do for it? I’ll have to add some.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I'm sure I've tried something like this before.

Lately I've been mixing some unsmoked cigar stub, sliced into little coins, with C&D Derringer (all VA) and some Green River Vanilla. The Derringer is a little too plain on its own (but a fine smoke when I'm in the mood for something simple) and the GRV a little rough and one-dimensional. Mixing together all these components somehow makes them all come alive.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I've found that many aromatic blends do well with some latakia added.

For me a blend that illustrates this in a big way is Uhle's Raider Blend. It's a blend I virtually never see mentioned.

Here's their description: "This project, created in honor of a local Smoking Club, is a spicy twist on a classic dessert: cherry pie with a tang. Ingredients: Cherry Cavendish with a “spec” of Latakia."

I was given a sample when I visited Uhle's in downtown Milwaukee when it was first introduced a few years ago. Enjoyed the sample so much I eventually ordered more. It's incredibly unique & really tasty. And I generally dislike cherry pipe tobaccos...

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
For me a blend that illustrates this in a big way is Uhle's Raider Blend. It's a blend I virtually never see mentioned.

Here's their description: "This project, created in honor of a local Smoking Club, is a spicy twist on a classic dessert: cherry pie with a tang. Ingredients: Cherry Cavendish with a “spec” of Latakia."

I was given a sample when I visited Uhle's in downtown Milwaukee when it was first introduced a few years ago. Enjoyed the sample so much I eventually ordered more. It's incredibly unique & really tasty. And I generally dislike cherry pipe tobaccos...
A "spec" is all it takes my friends.

I also generally dislike cherry blends, I'll have to make a note of Raider Blend next time I make my orders, thanks for the heads up.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

that sounds potentially great. It would not if I had tried some other aros with a pinch of latakia.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020

I'm not a big fan of most cherrys either, but my local tobacconist has a "not too cherry" cherry that I may try blending with some of my precious Syrian Latakia. I can see how it might be interesting. My local shop has been in business with the same family since 1917 and they have a blend book with a hundred years of customers blends. The tobacconist told me that guys come in and order their grandfather's blend; I think that's pretty cool.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I'd like to hear from anyone that's got a recommended mix using Prince Albert. I've been meaning to try it with a latakia blend like 10 Russians. I like PA just fine, but you get so much in that tub I'd like to look into using it in a home blend.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I'd like to hear from anyone that's got a recommended mix using Prince Albert. I've been meaning to try it with a latakia blend like 10 Russians. I like PA just fine, but you get so much in that tub I'd like to look into using it in a home blend.
UPDATE: I find PA goes perfectly with Kelly's Coin. 50/50, the taste is still decidedly PA, but even more on the burley side, and with a significant increase in strength. It smokes just as smoothly as PA itself.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA

I really enjoy Raider Blend. You’re the first I’ve seen mention it. I’ll admit, I ordered it out of curiosity and I’m glad I did. Fun stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.