PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm writing this here to avoid contention in another thread. I do not want to seem to be speaking harshly toward members whose contributions and personalities I enjoy. But, from a computer guy, here's why not to buy Apple:
1. The userbase resembles a cult.
2. You are often getting older equipment in new packaging, thus low performance.
3. One company controls hardware and operating system. This means few options and poor backward compatibility.
4. This company is massively inconsistent.
5. The GUI tends to make people know very little about their machines, which keeps them helpless. I am not saying you need to know much about the machine, because for most they are not fascinating, but more than the picture window phase.
6. Upgrades are impossible.
7. Price/performance is poor.
I am sure there are more reasons that I have forgotten.
This is not a "PC versus Mac" screed. This is a critique of Apple.
Regarding PCs, they do not even compare since they are not standardized. Instead, you have a wide range of hardware and operating system options. You will have to choose carefully and know a little bit about them or find someone who does.
I am not the world's biggest fan of Windows, although I think it better than the Mac OS. I normally suggest Linux but hilariously the same bloat that afflicts the corporate operating systems has come to be a problem there, too. I guess large groups of humans just go crazy because they cannot regulate themselves, and chaotic/duplicative code results.
I like BSD, a descendant of the original Unix, but it is the "fiddliest" of all the operating systems with a hostile, antisocial and incoherent user base. Thus it's only good for hobbyists or companies that can afford support staff.
If you run Windows, I recommend disabling as much of the "Microsofty" add-ons as possible. Very few of them do anything well. The Windows ecosystem relies on third-party software, much of it open source or freeware.
Good luck, fellow nerds!

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
I sadly have to admit that I do prefer a MacBook Pro for my everyday use at work and school but when it comes to application that require muscle like gaming and rendering, I much prefer a PC due to the fact that I can build a monster that can handle anything I through at it for a 1/10 the price I can buy a Mac with similar specs. I am also a bit of a Linux tinkerer but mostly stick with Windows 10 for compatibility with most of the software I use.
Cheers,

Jared

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I'm a PC guy. I have nothing nice to say about Apple anything. My dislike started sometime in 1998 when I was employed to build the iMac G3 on the production line from hell. They were actually produced by Korean firm LG in South Wales. Or at least we knocked out a few thousand of the infernal pieces of multi coloured junk a day. I lasted 3 weeks before I decided I wanted to do something better with my life.
Ever since I have had an overwhelming desire to take a hammer to anything with an apple on it.
There are other reasons why I dislike them but apple users are sensitive souls and I would not want to upset any of them. Well, not here at least.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have a 9 year old mac book. It's just as fast as it was the day I bought it.
At this point I can't see ever buying. PC again.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
My eyes roll out of my head when I hear all the Apple fanboys talk.
While they do make really nice looking stuff, for me it has to be functional. Apple has appealed to a large fanbase, becuase they cater the the crowd that wants stuff that just "auto-magically" works. So lots of times the end user has really no idea what goes on "behind the scenes" so to speak.
The only reason why I'd buy one now, is to have it as a use case for authentication testing for work I do in my professional career. I'd just give it to my wife to use as her daily machine.
Aside from that, I much prefer the Windows(not that those devices are without fault) route. I just know what I'm getting into Windows machines.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
No contention from me; but rather my observations:
Personally, I've been using PC technology since I purchased my own IBM XT clone (go look that up in your Funk & Wagnall's) in 1987. At times, I have disassembled PC's, updated, upgraded and what ever other "up" you can figure out. I too at one time advocated the "seriousness" of the PC, power and ability to build killer machines. I still use the technology at work and support support my customers who use PC technology.
For my money at home, I have a 2010 iMac, 2012 Macbook Pro and a 2012 Macbook Air. As essentially Linux based systems running on the same chip as PCs, they pretty much self-setup, self-update and seldom lose their performance. For the most part, I do some Word/Excel, e-mail, surfing and on the iMac, Photo Editing. At home, I don't need to see/know how the sausage is made, I just like to eat it when I want to. Mac technology gives me what I want. Over the course of the last 6 years, I anticipate I would have upgraded my equivalent PC hardware at least twice thereby bringing the cost to about the same as my Mac equipment.
I think like anything, this can be the perennial Ford vs. Chevy, Canon vs. Nikon debate, but I get what I need and I'm happy with it.

Dec 24, 2012
I wouldn't own anything but Apple. I had a recent experience that only served to confirm this belief. I wanted to hook up a wireless network storage system directly to my computer to transfer large files directly rather then over wifi. I googled whether this could be done and found a youtube video explaining that it could be. The guy starts off by saying "if you have a Mac, you are in luck, just plug the cable into your mac and the mac will figure out what to do." The remaining 20 minutes of the video went on to explain how to do it with a PC, involving making IP addresses static and a whole bunch of other shit that I would never really care to figure out. Yep, PCs are 20 year old technology. Can't believe people still use them.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My eyes roll out of my head when I hear all the Apple fanboys talk.
I was one, once. Early through late 1980s. Then I realized a few things, and also realized that no one else in the Cult was going to admit them, and I got out before the Kool-ade came around again.
I miss some of the older lines that had potential in their day, like the DEC Alpha and Commodore Amiga. Killer machines.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I own Apple products precisely because I don't want to f@ck with the damn thing...I just want it to work! I don't care about programming or whether or not I can upgrade it, I buy the device with the most memory and call it a day. I realize that the Radio Shack crowd will never like Apple products, because the evil corporation seals the user out of the device, but the vast majority of people never open their computer up, they just want to hit the power button and go!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I dislike most devices and technology in general, so my liking for Apple is "compared to what?" I've had to learn to use, first, a Decmate system, then years with PC Microsoft when it was the least appropriate for the task at hand (called desktop publishing in those days of yore). Apple was the least painful learning curve. I don't love it, but I don't feel abused by it either. If you feel sympatico with some other system, and feel you have more control and "creativity" with them, more power to you. The words frustrating, humiliating, and insulting, with respect to hardware and software come more readily in mind for me.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I use PCs for my work but whenever I have the blues I turn on my beloved Amiga 500 and the universe calms. :puffy:
Macs? Nope.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I am a plug and play guy. Apple makes my life easier. Isn't that what technology is SUPPOSED to do. ?
Posted from my IPhone :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This is not a "PC versus Mac" screed. This is a critique of Apple.
Well, of course. Certainly not a contentious thread! Good grief!
I've been fortunate enough to have Macs since the Mac Plus, and count my blessings. I am not cultish and tarring everyone with that brush is ignorant. Nor am I a gamer, so CPU and related hardware are plenty fast, including heavy Photoshop and Lightroom work, some video editing.
DM, I am surprised you'd post such rubbish! Are you sore because PC's growth in sales is stagnant to say the least, while Macs continue to gain in popularity and usage? Even among knowledgeable computer folks!?

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Not wanting to make my blood boil or increase my heart rate I will refrain from commenting on this thread. Typing on my phone is enough to pi88 me of any more.
They all %$&@!!!
Retired 15+ year IT guy.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Owned an Internet cafe in late 90's. Had a bunch of PC's and one mac. I HATE pc's. They are awful pieces of garbage.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Macs are great, especially if you just want to do basic computer stuff and appreciate the style. It's like an exclusive grocery store that only carries one brand of cereal and it's expensive. You just go to the cereal isle, pick up your box and you are done.
PCs are more like a supermarket. You go down the isle and there are ten different brands of cereal. Some of them are free.

One box might have poison in it, but if you know what you're doing you won't pick it up =)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I am not a tech person, I can only go by my experiences with the equipment and operating systems over the last 14 years. Four PCs in the first 8 years, one Mac for the last 6 years. Like others have said, nothing is perfect, but I just want something that works, and doesn't need all kinds of add ons for protection. Mac does that for me for what I want it to do.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
“Things are packages of emphasis. Some things are emphasized in a product, some things are not done as well in product. Some things are chosen not to be done at all in a product. And so different people make different choices, and if the market tells us we’re making the wrong choices we listen to the market.
”We’re just people running this company. We’re trying to make great products for people, and so what we have, at least, is the courage of our convictions to say, ‘We don’t think this is part of what makes a great product, we’re gonna leave it out.’ Some people aren’t going to like that. They’re gonna call us names. It’s not going to be in certain companies’ interests that we do that but we’re gonna take the heat because we want to make the best product in the world for customers.
“We’re gonna instead focus our energy on these technologies which we think are in their ascendancy and we think are gonna be the right technologies for customers and, you know what, they’re paying us to make those choices. That’s what a lot of customers pay us to do, is to try to make the best products we can. And if we succeed, they’ll buy them. And if we don’t, they won’t. And it’ll all work itself out.”
-Steve Jobs, All Things D, 2010
Linus Torvalds uses a MacBook Air … though I’m sure it ain’t OS X he’s bootin’ there! :wink:
I like diversity in the computing space. I like that options exist for workhorse computers and handheld computers and everything between. I miss when there were Tandys and Commodores and Ataris; I’m glad to know that Amiga still lives and Linux thrives. I wish that world existed today and more platforms had survived and evolved. I’m very glad Apple’s still around.
I have an iPhone; it does what I need it to when I need it to, and a great deal more, and I enjoy using it. When I get home, I rarely have to give any thought to the Mac that is the computing tool I’m using; I just get straight to working or playing. Do I wish iPad would run OS X instead of iOS? Well, sure! I still have fun with my iPad. That doesn’t mean my next tablet can’t be a Surface.
I never understood the binary thinking that for one platform to be successful, the competition has to fail. I think competition between the major tech companies is good. It makes the tools and toys I get to use more interesting, more fun.
One issue I take with the original post: I know and work with and play with a lot of people who use Apple products; many friends, my family. None of them, NOT A SINGLE SOLITARY ONE OF THEM, is in a cult. :lol:
P.S. Even Apple hasn’t called it “Macintosh” since 2001.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
There's always the option for a hackintosh. But between the OSX and Windows, I find that OSX is superior for work and school, whereas Windows is the gaming platform

Status
Not open for further replies.