PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
So I've been a little bit of a hoarder the last few years. I've made some missteps along the way of my tobacco journey. Here is a story of success!! Back in 2013 I purchased a 250g box of SG St. James flake. I put in in an inappropriate container that kept it semi-sealed the last few years. I recently shook it and seemed like it was getting a little dry, although it does have some plume on it! So I popped it open to separate into Mason jars. I sliced up the long flakes and filled 3 jars worth, still pliable yet much drier than I put it in there. Call it near perfect smoking moisture. I'm smoking the scraps from that re-jarring session at the moment. Every puff is pure delight. Rich, deep fruit notes with a little pepper and spice. Burning perfectly. Full flavor so I don't feel the need to puff, just a sip is pure pipe-stacy. This is what a VA/Per should taste like. Outstanding!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Sam- Don't you just love it when the plan works out? That SJF is wonderful stuff, and your description has got my mouth watering...........now where is my jar of SJF?............. :)

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's one of my favorites. I had the same thing happen last weekend with a jar of FVF. It had a bad lid so I opened it. I went from being upset about losing the seal to enjoying the age in minutes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
If you think St. James Flake is good stuff then get hold of some St. James Plug...simply bursting with flavour and knocks the flake into a cocked hat :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
St. James Flake is my favorite VA/Per, & nothing better with age on it, even as short as 6 months. I have ages from fresh to 5 years, & would like to age some to 10 years.
Jay, stop tantalizing us Yanks. :puffy:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Love St. James Flake. Glad it worked out. I have several pounds I need to check on now..... :lol:
Jay, I have had the plug, it's good, but between trying to obtain it and then prepping it, I'm happy with the flake. More than happy.

bostoneo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2016
Akron, OH
I just had the same experience. Had 1.5lbs of the bulk in boxes from June 2014 and jarred it up in a 2qt jar. Stuff even have plume. Tastes and smells just wonderful!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
SJF is a weird one for me. I like it fresh or with a year on it, but anything in-between is dull, flat and boring. Fresh I get a lot of malt, chocolate and ripe fruit with age the malt becomes darker, like black bread, the fruit becomes prune and the chocolate mutes.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Hmmm... Sounds tasty! I've never had St James Flake, will consider including it on my next order. Then try hard not to touch it for a while :mrgreen:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, I have had the plug, it's good, but between trying to obtain it and then prepping it, I'm happy with the flake."
"Jay, stop tantalizing us Yanks."

Genuine apologies Ash and Cossack, I just presumed that as you had access to the flake version you also could access the plug version. Sort of made sense to me :roll:
Nothing at all wrong with the flake version, it's a great smoke in its own right.
Regards,
Jay.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
St. James Plug...
Being hopelessly obsessed with St.J.F., I'd love to try out the plug. Definitely a huge pain to get here in the U.S., though. In the future! :puffpipe:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just made a baccy order including another 200 grams of SJP at ~£6 per 50g.
Now then, the first person to PM me with an offer of a straight exchange of a tin of War Horse Red and a tin of War Horse Green for two 50g blocks of SJP gets the deal. The senders (meaning me and 'you') to pay their own postage only.
Howzat folks?
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.