PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipe Daddy

Might Stick Around
Oct 16, 2019
OK, here we go pipe smokers. I have a small wire bonnet, about the size of a dime that I put in my cordless drill and have a go a stubborn cake. I use the wire wheel till it's close to the wood. Then I use 120 grit sandpaper till it's smooth and clean. Be careful if you try this. Keep shining a flashlight down the bowl to be sure you haven't overdone it.

Reactions: jhowell

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
No matter what reamer I used, I always used to remove some wood. My solution was to use a pocket knife held at a 90 degree angle to the walls, not trying to cut anything but simply use the blade to scrape the walls.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I use sandpaper too, wrapped around whatever hard cylindrical object is nearby (usually a Bic pen) to prevent collateral damage, i.e. rounding off the inside edge of the rim by accident. ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't use a reamer, as explained, but I think one of the problems with a reamer is that they are fairly fun to use. They really do scrape out the char, and it is easy to get into it and take out the briar in shavings too. Moral: go slow.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
OK, here we go pipe smokers. I have a small wire bonnet, about the size of a dime that I put in my cordless drill and have a go a stubborn cake. I use the wire wheel till it's close to the wood. Then I use 120 grit sandpaper till it's smooth and clean. Be careful if you try this. Keep shining a flashlight down the bowl to be sure you haven't overdone it.
I use a brass one...

Status
Not open for further replies.