PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I used to use a Swiss Army knife for cleaning the chambers of estates. Recently i purchased an old pipnet reamer and it has changed my world. Lol
This. I use the knockoff pipnet.
the key is to hold the bit still and turn the pipe on it.. and use a smaller size than you think you need.
I also use a Sheffield pipe knife for detailed work.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I guess I'm in the camp or not letting any cake build up. A wipe from a damp paper towel is good enough for me.
I do that too, but it can be a little inconvenient to have a wet paper towel will you all the time. The Swiss knife sounds good: good sturdy handle, thick knife edge when you want to apply real pressure to it. Problem is, I smoke so much it cakes up fast. Failing that, I go to Silas Walls. Thanks for the tips, gents!

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I'm simple. I use sandpaper. No need for reaming. Once cake layer is sanded away, and under control -there's barely a reason to use sandpaper, again. Don't allow a thick cake layer to build up.

Even the cake in neglected estate pipes can be sanded away, or gently scraped away if first softened. Just use a square bamboo chopstick, or piece of wood, to scrape away softened, gummy, cake layer. Popsicle sticks work for scraping, and will never nick or gouge the bowl like a knife blade could. BTW...stick/jam a piece of oily juicy orange peel into the bowl to soften up the cake. Leave the peel in the pipe bowl at least overnight, then scrape away the gummy cake. Repeat, if necessary until cake disappears. Your pipe will smell great, too.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Patience is the key. I use any blade handy, a "fitsall" usually and take small bites. Only small bites! I've not run across "gummy" cake though. I try to grow a shin shell of hard cake. The gummy crap "residue" is usually removed during Sunday cleanings. Perhaps we do need a definitive dictionary of pipe related terms so the sake of understanding. Good luck of course on that! rotf

Reactions: BROBS and edger
Status
Not open for further replies.