PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

James8855

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2019
I know you should ream the side walls of a briar pipe bowl but what about the very bottom of the bowl? Should you ream that too?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All I know about reaming is go easy. People do more damage to briar with reamers than anything else. I scoop out the ash and wipe out the bowl with a stiff paper towel, and don't own a reamer, with scores of pipes, some of them about 40 years old, all doing fine. A devoted minority of Forums members do likewise.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I occasionally use my Case and gently ream my pipes when the cake gets a bit much. I lightly apply the edge of the blade to the bottom only when the airway is obstructed which can not be remedied with a pipe cleaner. Otherwise, I leave the bottom of the bowl alone. If you clean your pipes with a couple pipe cleaners properly after each use...you very rarely need to ream the bowl. ☕

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
As MSO said....go easy. If you don’t ream enough, no sweat, do it again, but you cannot put briar back. If you are going to keep a cake, determine the thickness you want before you begin to ream. Go slow and try to keep the reamer centered so that your cake will be even. I and several others, do not keep any cake in our pipes and simply wipe out the bowl with a paper towel after each smoke as mentioned above. Good luck.

P.S. I have found the PipNet reamers the easiest to use, as I sometimes need them to clean up estates.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was starting to wonder why i didn't have cake build up as i only started smoking briar's about 6 months back( only cobs before that). But I clean my pipe after each use.
I've got pipes that were bought new thirty years ago that barely show any cake. I disassemble my pipes after every smoke and clean them. For estates clean ups I use a Case knife and sandpaper to remove the cake.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Spot on advice, the only pipes I need to ream are estates. If reaming, remember the goal is to remove cake not briar. Once you get near the briar, as many suggest go slow. If you do like a layer of cake, that can be maintained without having to ream. The small amount of maintenance necessary after each smoke to avoid excessive cake isn’t too much bother.

James8855

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2019
Here’s after my first time reaming. Did I scratch the briar at the bottom of the bowl or did I just take too much carbon cake off?

Attachments

• C7FC7354-FCE3-4A67-B596-B4CA3BB3748F.jpeg
    C7FC7354-FCE3-4A67-B596-B4CA3BB3748F.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 3791F30E-775B-45D3-8A09-18A5F3754C1F.jpeg
    3791F30E-775B-45D3-8A09-18A5F3754C1F.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 26

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I love cake. Always prefer a huge amount of cake in my pipes. However, it always tapers like a cone down to the bottom of the bowl. Almost so much that there's never any actual cake down there. Just a layer of wet tar.

So when I do ream, I try to keep the reamer or scraper away from the bottom, to help even the cake going up the bowl.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I do rarely ream a pipe I use my Senior Reamer as I feel I have more control with it. When I get to the bottom , I am very careful and only take little amounts I just barely scrap going very slow. If you get over zealous with any kind of reamer you can make a mess. Go slow.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Here’s after my first time reaming. Did I scratch the briar at the bottom of the bowl or did I just take too much carbon cake off?
You did fine, good job.
I just got a four dot Brigham bulldog that someone went at with a knife. It will be fixed with Pipe Mud. :(