PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
So I picked up a small fruit wood pipe on E-bay for a coupla bucks after shipping. I thought the bowl size would be perfect for work breaks. I went through my standard ream to bare wood, lodge a rum soaked cleaner in the stem clean up, unfortunately the stem is also wood and fixed permanently to the pipe so a soak isn't an option. Well I finally tried to light it up yesterday. I noticed a slight strange flavor lent to the tobacco and chalked this up to the charring of the wood from bare wood. Then about halfway through the first smoke I started to get a horrible migraine. Since it's a tobacco I'm familiar with and smoke frequently(blackhouse), the only thing I can think of is that the pipe is experiencing ghosting ghosting from a previous owner. I'm thinking it was used for other than tobacco. I've come to this thought since it's causing the same symptoms as when I consume tetrahydrocannabinol. (mild to sever headache,dizziness, and nausea) I'm giving the bare uncharred wood a salt treatment tonight. Just wondering if anyone else has any super cleanup techniques that may help with this? If it doesn't work I'll be looking to get rid of a tiny pipe, or using it for fire wood.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
One thought is a retort treatment. The second is an activated carbon treatment. Greg Pease wrote an article on it on the blog here on PM.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
just use it a few times, smoking it will get the ghosts out easier than anything else.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
Maybe if you ream it a bit past bare wood and open up the stem a bit you can remove the affected portion. Sorry it gives you headaches, it sounds like a real beauty.

newsmokealot

Lurker
Mar 4, 2019
Morning very new to the whole pipe thing I could use some advice the pipes that I have bought didnt seem big enough I smoke a full bodied tobacco and the pipe was empty before I was satisfied so I had a pear root pipe that I decided to ream out to a larger size all down to bare wood what should I do with it before the first smoke Thanks for your time

Status
Not open for further replies.