Really Looking Forward To This One. Anybody Else?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
It has always disappointed me the Sirius/XM does not have a channel dedicated to Dylan. Yes, the Beatles were great and a tremendous cultural influence, but there were four of them and only one Bob and he is perhaps even greater and at least as culturally significant. His body of work is extraordinary and Highway 61 may just reign as the greatest rock album of all time. From the opening downbeat of (just like a) Rolling stone to the last notes of the epic Desolation Row it is such a great record. Blood on the Tracks makes two. Oddly, while I find his music mesmerizing I don't find him personally all that interesting, and perhaps what he intends. Saw him live twice: 1974 with the Band (perhaps the best concert I ever attended and I saw a lot of the greats) and in the mid-late 80s (the absolute worst show I've ever been to. Guess what song I'm doing now?)
a good thread might be your favorite Dylan line...

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
To be tactful, Dylan sucks the Creator's wazoo, because he can't sing, sounding like the ass-end of a goat. What does it matter that his oeurve is culturally significant when you have to listen to the dreadful delivery?

I disagree. I’ve heard several live songs where me managed to sound good.

The rest of the time, he’s distinctive. You can be a horrible singer and still be good at songs!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
To be tactful, Dylan sucks the Creator's wazoo, because he can't sing, sounding like the ass-end of a goat. What does it matter that his oeurve is culturally significant when you have to listen to the dreadful delivery?
I'd rather listen to a singer who can make me feel or think more so then one that has perfect intonation. But then again I also think shows like American Idol are crap. And no not just because it mislead me into thinking it was a show about neo paganism.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Dylan's voice (referring to his voice in the 65-80 period, which I love) is one of those voices which is distinctly American like Willie Nelson, Ray Charles, pasty Cline, James Taylor , Levon Helm, johnny cash and others. With Dylan it has always been the words that matter but it is the sound of his voice that drives the words. Perhaps, like Leonard Cohen ( another great), an acquired taste but one which I always savor.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Dylan was a Guthrie poser. It’s true. He had some good verse.
And Guthrie got his poses from Will Geer and John Steinbeck.
There’s some more correct history.

Dylan, like him or not, is arguably the most significant American “cultural” figure of the second half of the century.
The fact that he’s still going, and has come back to these songs is very cool.