Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I'm addicted to Forged In Fire, Booze Traveler, Zimmermans shows, and cutthroat kitchen

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I guess I'd add one other "reality" television. There is this British chef who has a pretty good show called Masterchef Jr. They have these small kids on who can probably cook circles around you compete making all kinds of wonderful dishes. The kids are often as good as are the dishes they serve up! Pretty amazing really.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There is no way reality TV can be real. That would be unpredictable, and to produce a show, you need predictability. In fact, it is your obsession, down to the microsecond.
The same applies to democracy.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Cooking shows are not fake per se, just multiple takes with three versions of the dish prepared so if one turns to goo they can just trot out another.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Well, DM, in a sense I agree with you, since you are ultimately making a TV show there has to be /some/ controls, editing, formatting, content, but that does not mean they are still not about people's day-to-day lives, ie, reality.
As to democracy being predictable, democracy is entirely predictable. It's outcome is always the same, but people constantly make the mistake of referring to "our" democracy when in fact, the USA has never been one, never been about /mob rule/ but rather the rule of laws.
The cooking shows I've watched Are likewise not multiple takes to get the best dish. Those people are competing under the clock with a prize of $100,000 - $200,000 at stake and many turn in disastrous dishes.
And the dog butt-dragging - one thing I can say is that at least I've never seen a cat do that. Someone ought to invent a station where the dog can back himself up on a station where his weight activates a switch and the motor runs an ass-wiping cloth! Of course, you may never get the dog off the thing!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm only familiar with the Julia Child version of cooking shows. I really need to get better at watching television, but the voices in my head won't let me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Dogs: Time to get the glands drained.
Democracy: The US is a Democracy but, a sub-class. It is a Representative Democracy by definition. Could you imagine a true democracy? Every voter descending on Washington to voice their position on every subject. We, eligible voters, would be arguing and casting ballots pretty much every day, one or two times a day sometimes. We elect our representatives, sometimes wisely, sometimes... not so much (matter of who's ox is being gored/perspective), to conduct the business of governing. Often times washing our hands of the entire process until the next election.
Reality shows: There is The Great British Baking Show. Only watched at the kid's house (not available on Dish I think) while recovering and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some scripting but, enough mucking about to be fun.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Toob Reset! The King is arrived, and he is a burger with cheese! All please rise and place you hands over your heart:
All Hail The Common Man!
Democracy: The US is a Democracy but, a sub-class. It is a Representative Democracy by definition.
First time I've even seen you totally miss, Warren:
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands."
Please watch this video, it may be the most important thing your schools never taught you!
If it doesn't start at the beginning be sure to restart it.
Systems of Governance

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Another acceptable term for Representative Democracy is Democratic Republic, You parsed, I lost. I should have listed all of the acceptable alternatives. The power is supposed rest with the voter and be filtered through the elected representatives. At the start we were supposed to elect our representatives who, in turn would elect the senators who, in turn would then select the president. We've evolved a long way and are more of an amalgam of type and certainly not a republic in the strictest definition of the term.
We've slowly, over the years, enfranchised more citizens. At one time only certain peoples were entitled to be elected and there was a tiny enfranchised group to be allowed to vote. Now, we've given the right, not the duty, to vote to a huge number of citizens. We, America, has morphed closer to democracy than republic over the years. The electorate is even given, in some cases, the right cast a, more or less direct, vote for our president. In other cases the members of the Electoral Collage are not bound to follow the voters who selected them.
So, yes our process, these days, is leaning more to democracy than a republic I believe. In any case we are far removed from our roots. Perhaps, as in 1954 (under God added) we will modify the Pledge again. The pledge itself didn't exist until sometimes in the 1890s, my memory is not what it was back then.
I'll stick with my statement, only amending it to include Democratic Republic as an acceptable description of our sometimes messy and always entertaining choice of governance.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In technical terms, a republic is a type of democracy because power is apportioned through voting.
Per Plato, there are other types... oligarchy, timarchy (military rule), tyranny (more a factor of intent than gov't type) and monarchy.
Fascinating stuff, really. Choice is the only power we have in life. That includes tobacco blends, government or the lack thereof, etc.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I also want to observe, I always considered schooling to be a starting place to learn. Time constraints always dictated the amount and depth of teaching. One should continue to study, read, listen, debate, with others and one's self, everything. If I could impart only one piece of information to my young grandson it would be: Question and examine, critically, everything. Take nothing at face value unless it comes from a proven and trusted mentor. Even then a bit of honest cynicism is a good thing. One should arrive at the acceptance as fact only after gathering all possible information, listening to agreeing/opposing views, and objectively as possible, sifting and evaluating.
It can be a hard, time consuming venture. It is necessary though. Again only my opinion and how I try to arrive at a conclusion. I would never spend money or reach a conclusion without some due diligence depending on cost or how critical the issue is to me.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Sorry guys. You are over-complicating and missing the original point. There are no democratic republics and no republican democracies or whatever else. The two stable end-terms of governance are either the oligarchy or the republic, everything else is a temporary transitional phase to one of these.
This seems to me to be the root of philosophy.
Actually, it is the root of /science./ There are many philosophies which question or examine nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.