Real Talk Request: Peterson Deluxe vs Artisan pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I'm not sure how it got there, but somewhere in my pipe smoking adventures the Peterson Deluxe crept in to my mind as an object of desire. About once a year I think about picking one up but always end up finding a reason not to do so. But still the idea lingers and it must be that time of the year.
I've tracked one down but am waffling again and turn to you good folk for guidance. I don't have anything against factory pipes but my regular rotation is all mid tier+ modern hand mades. I've never smoked a system pipe nor a p-lip.
Putting aside QC issues, my concerns for this pipe are:
Scalded palate, ouch

Tight draw, poor ability to maintain a burn

Less perceived flavor
And just generally a lot of headache with no real upside relative to your average good ol' artisan pipe.
I could really use some insight from folks that have experience with Deluxe pipes and modern artisan pipes. Can't shake the feeling that if these pipes were so great everyone would be making them.
Thanks!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
While I'm sitting in traffic I'll say this..

I owned a System Deluxe. Beautiful pipe. Smoked just fine.

That said, I've sold it..and I continue buying artisan.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have several Peterson Deluxe pipes (one pre-Republic, the other 1979). Both smoke exceedingly well, easily on par with any of my artisan pipes.
I have zero scalded palate issues with the p-lip. The Deluxe pipe will come with a vulcanite stem, which is my preference.
I also have one Supreme and the two Deluxe pipes smoke equally as well, but they aren't covered in birdseye!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey BigPond, my experience is similar to Al's.
I've had one Deluxe pipe in my life time, but a number of Peterson pipes have made their way into and through my collection. I currently regularly smoke my 80S Rosslare and love it; the higher grade Petersons I've owned have all smoked as well as my hand-made pipes.
I'm one of those rare birds who likes the variety offered by a P-Lip. I've never had an issue with a scorched soft palate with a P-Lip and have to think that anyone who does is probably struggling with cadence.
I have also had no issue with draw or having Pete's deliver on flavour promise of any 'baccy.
Keep us posted, pal.
-- Pat

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
My opinion is pretty heavily biased towards handmades, as those make up 90% of my collection. For the money, you could commission a pipe from a maker that will exceed your expectations and have more personal value. Just look at all the folks who have had pipes made (or bought) from Ryan Alden and Scottie Piersel in the past few weeks and have been extremely happy with them. And hey, if you don't like the pipe, you can always trace the problem back to the source for accountability; you won't get that very often with factory made pipes. Just food for thought.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One upside to the right Peterson is over the long run, it will hold its value better versus most artisan pipes. (No offense Ryan!)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Systems are fine (I have one), but the P-lip definitely reduces flavor for me. I smoke it when I need both hands to write or work in the yard because it's easy to clinch and the P-lip protects the tongue. Even then, I only smoke strong plugs or burleys.
Conversely, if I really wanted to savor the flavor of a particular blend, and didn't need my hands free, my P-lip system would be my last choice.
Some De Luxe models come with a fishtail stem, however.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Gents, thank you for sharing your insights. I'm grateful for having your experiences to draw from.
Dan, both Scottie and Ryan make lovely, interesting and well priced pipes and would be amongst my very first stops in looking for a commission job. I think Pat perfectly summed what keeps bringing me back to these pipes (which had eluded me), when he said "I'm one of those rare birds who likes the variety offered by a P-Lip". Simple curiosity.
I'll be making my decision when I get home this evening so if anyone else has any other insights I'm all ears, or eyes...
Edit: That's really interesting Pitchfork. I've read that one needs to swirl to the smoke to get a similar level of punch as a fishtail. I suppose that makes sense though I obviously have not tried it.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I own both high grade Petes and hand made artisan pipes. The high grade Petes smoke just as well as the artisan pipes, you just have to smoke them a little different. The p-lip is actually quite comfortable and as others have said, and it produces no palate burn. With a Peterson pipe, you are buying not only a good smoking briar, you are buying "the Peterson look", much like when you buy a Dunhill, the look and feel and general mystique of the brand adds to the smoke. I would buy the Pete, you clearly want one and they have a beauty all their own.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There is a pre-Republic 9BC on eBay now, and an older XL-90, two of my favorite shapes. Those are not full on system style pipes.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Am afraid I can only speak to half this equation as I have never owned an artisan pipe. Do own 4 Peterson deluxe system pipes and would echo the positive sentiments expressed here about them. I would think, though, that the deluxe system pipes would generally be quite a bi less expensive than most artisan pipes. E-tailers sell them new now for about $250. Then estate prices a fair bit lower than that. Got all of mine used, (we don't like to use that phrase it seems),never paying more that $100.

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
I'm at 7 deluxe systems including a mark Twain and 3s of my birth year (1981) and several recent ones, including some with "stingers" or filters(I can actually hear you think "ouch") all have p-lips and I own 2 artisans.

The + of the deluxes:

Price is reasonable

No issues with drilling or staining so far

Classic shapes

Quality briar
The - of the deluxes:

No original shapes as they are mostly machine-made

You have to love the System and P-lip
The + of the artisans:

They are unique or almost at least

They are handmade

Construction should be flawless

Quality of the briar is high
The - of artisans:

Unless you look for starting artisans and have an eye for quality, the price can be hefty

Smoking quality is for me not significantly better compared to machine-made pipes.
I personally have stopped buying artisans(although that might change)
I think you are trying to answer the classic question : where does something transcends the function and becomes a piece of art. Good luck with your purchase

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There is a big point of distinction on the Peterson "chimney", which is a screw-in funnel of sorts that supports and enhances the system smoking process. To some, it may look like a stinger of sorts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All my Pete's are factory so I can't speak to that. I have one P-Lip, a Rhody 999. It's a good smoker and a good size and finish (Killarney). I enjoy it, but I've never bought another P-Lip. It's a subtle difference, and some people like it as well or prefer it. You end up with more bit further in your mouth, with the smoke directed slightly more upward. With the fishtail bit, I just feel a little more control directing the smoke/flavor, and a little less awareness of the bit itself, and prefer that. I just had an estate pipe, a Thompson Cigar house pipe, re-fitted with a fishtail from a version of a P-Lip, more because of the oxidation than the bit, but I decidedly prefer the fishtail.

IMHO There is no comparison. Peterson Deluxe isn't that high up in grade to be compared to an artisan pipe assuming we are talking about someone who has been making pipes for atleast 5 years. But then Peterson has the most interesting shape catalog which we all love and cherish. I just hope they source their briar better.
@ssjones I was born in 1979 *hint hint*
Cheers,

Chris

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Deluxe has been ordered! Thanks for the feedback folks. In addition to the comments here, I scoured just about every scrap of internet traffic I could lay eyes on. These pipes see to really polarize. Ultimately, positive comments from pipe people I have a ton of respect for and my own curiosity won out. New experiences are a large part of the fun of pipe smoking for me. Thanks gain!

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
Good luck and great decision. Feel free to provide pictures and feedback once you have broken in your new pipe.

What shape have you bought?

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
bigpond, hope you have a great experience with it. Pipe monk, can't guarantee how true it is for new deluxes now, but it had always been maintained by Peterson that they used only the highest grade briars for them and were claimed to be 1 of their few lines "guaranteed" to be flawless. In fact, it is purportedly difficult to find them now due to the scarcity of that sort of briar. Will say none of my 4 have flaws but then neither does my lowest grade Pete. :wink:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Bigbee I grabbed a 4s. The dutch billiard is what comes to mind when I think of a system pipe so it was an easy pick.
Piggybacking on Earl's post above, here's a quote from Tom Palmer addressing this;
about 95 % of all smokers pipes have fills---some manufacturers may be better at hiding them than others. We grade bowls into 7 different qualities with only the very top---Straight Grain and Supreme s , De Luxe Systems etc having no fills
The link to an excellent and unusually direct interview with Tom here:
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Peterson_Today_(March_2011)_–_An_Interview_with_Tom_Palmer,_Managing_Director_of_Peterson_of_Dublin

Status
Not open for further replies.