PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
My journey so far has only been 5 months. Thanks to everyone on this forum I have and am, learning by leaps and bounds. Sometimes it is a one step forward and two steps backward kind of learning process. Anyway here is my question. A forum member who I highly respect suggested that I try, "pushing the smoke out through your nose."

I have no idea how to do that. I was wondering if someone could at the least, try and explain although it is probably something you have see and attempt to emulate. I've never smoked anything previous to starting my pipe smoking journey. I have watched a few videos of someone pushing the smoke out through their nose but so far my attempts to try it have only resulted in a coughing fit.

My apologies for such a crazy question.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I can't help you here. I've been smoking a pipe since 1974, and when I inhale, I still cough like a beginner. Inhaling isn't necessary to the enjoyment of pipe or cigar smoking. If it bothers you, just relax and enjoy the taste from puffing.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
No inhaling needed. Take the smoke into your mouth and expel it through the nose. Great way to get all the flavour profile. I imagine if you don't do this at least occasionally it is kind of like eating a meal with a blocked nose... you "dampen" the potential flavours.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Oh I should have said I cannot do it with the pipe in my mouth... I have not figured out that part yet. Bit of smoke in, all the smoke out... no coughing.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
It's not very necessary to pipe smoking enjoyment and perhaps overrated.

But if you wish to persevere,sip some smoke, close your throat and exhale through your nose.

Keep in mind that your taste buds are not in your nose or lungs however.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
He's not asking about "retrohaling."
Keep the smoke in your mouth and exhale through your nose. It's akin to swallowing, your tongue will, in reflex, seal the teeth but your throat will close. The smoke will be sucked out of your mouth, into your nose and out.

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
I can do it by swallowing with my tounge against my hard palate.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
You can only tast 4 things with your tongue Aweet, salty, sour, and bitter. Your nose is what allows you all the other sensations of taste.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Tarheel one can indeed taste those taste those 4 taste differentials on the tongue,and to my mind or tongue at least countless nuances in between.

I think the nose or mine at least works best with tastes coming in rather than going out.

Interestingly in ancient Greece, Athena I think it was that a punishment for adultery was the removal of the nose as it was considered a sexual organ.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I will give this a try. If I pass out or swallow my tongue though I'm holding you guys responsible and will demand full restitution. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a purely individual decision, whether to exhale the pipe smoke through your nose. I don't think it's necessary to get full enjoyment from a tobacco pipe. Once you get the habit, you'll likely always smoke that way, so make your choice to suit yourself.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
It sounds tricky but it's not that hard to catch on to. Draw the smoke into your mouth, remove the pipe and close your lips then exhale. The smoke has nowhere to go but out your nose. Exhale gently. Burns sometimes till you get used to it and some blends will vary. Good luck. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.