PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Washington is known for it's rain, except this year. We've had no rain for over 6 weeks on top of a very dry spring, so we are as dry as a popcorn fart. Add to the mix the 4 th of July and for those of us living in forest settings, we're sitting in a tinderbox.
In preparation of a possible evacuation, I told my wife to go thru and load the trunk of her car with "absolutely must haves". In went the Roycroft bookcase (broken down), the Stickley footstool, pictures, and antique pottery and inkwells.
Then I did a double take. Packed neatly were my Comoy, Peterson, and Savinelli pipes along with tins of my Peterson tobacco, and a bottle of Jameson's. It's all sitting next to the dog food and medications ready to grab and go.
Hopefully the precautions are for nothing. But Eastern Washington is on fire and conditions aren't much better here. I've attached the travel trailer to the truck and we have an evacuation plan. My wife has a wonderful attitude, "If it burns, it burns."
This is going to be a long, hot summer.

Jul 15, 2011
The Midwest needs to pack up some of this f!%&#ing rain and ship it to you guys and California both. We went for a stretch of 27 days straight full of torrential rain. The river in town got so bad that they thought we would have to evacuate but thankfully it never came to that and now it seems to be slowing down some. Sorry to hear that you are having to take off. Best of wishes and stay safe my brother!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Hopefully you won't need to evacuate but if you do don't forget to toss wifey in the car too....she sounds like a keeper. :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hope you can stay put and stay safe. What a wise wife to include your pipes, tobacco, and beverage.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I've been evacuated twice for fires (northern nm). The first one took out 400 homes but not mine. The second one was zero.
In both cases, we were badly prepared. denial up to the last minute.
Good luck my friend and best wishes.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
All it takes is from careless idiot or psycho to start a fire. Good thing you are planned and ready to go. I hope it does not come to it though. I have a buddy up on Vancouver Island and he said its incredibly dry up there.
Good luck!!
@weezel, yep, its been crazy for the rain this year. They are calling for rain all next week as well, just when we planned to clean the garage out, etc.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
You've got a plan, man. Grab the wife, dog, highly collectibles and split.
Good on you.
The rest is dross and easily replaced.
Fnord

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks for all the good wishes. It hit 105 degrees at 11am today (Thursday). I really feel for everyone on the East of the state, it's worse for them.
Funny thing is, I noticed that there were no clothes packed except for underwear. When I asked my wife about it, she just smiled and said, "Priorities". Then she told me to look on the bright side. If the house burns we won't have to clean out the basement. Amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.