Ready-Rubbed, Flake & Bars - How to Prepare?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Cdtakacs1

Lurker
Feb 29, 2020
HI Folks -

I have a few tins of ready-rubbed, flake and bars (i.e. Plumb Pudding) and I'm just wondering the best way in which to prepare the product to be smoked? I have seem a few other threads where individuals have purchased pyramid grinders to break down the the product while others have just used their hands.

Is there a right or wrong way to do this? I've also seen a few videos (Muttonchip Piper to be exact) where the flake was merely folded and stuffed into the bowl.

Sorry for the silly question, I am a beginner pipe smoker. Thank you!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Ready rubbed mixtures are just that, ready. Some folks prefer to rub them into dust, but they are usually good to go with a little dry time. Crumble cakes can usually be easily rubbed to your desired consistency by hand, but a grinder makes quick work of them. Flakes are a personal preference. There is a learning curve to getting a good smoke by folding and stuffing, and the benefits are said to be better flavor retention and slower burn, but many prefer to rub them out either a bit (ready rubbed consistency) or fully into ribbons. For me, it varies from flake to flake, depending much on the manufacturer. Some flakes crumble if you look at them wrong, while others are densely pressed and will fight your efforts to break them down. Some dense flakes are better, imho, when cut into cubes or squares, offering the best of both worlds - slow burn and flavor retention with optimal airflow and ease of packing. The best thing to do is pick up a few tins and experiment to see what works best for you.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Frankly, I'm a rubber-outer. I haven't found any real benefit to fold-and-stuff, but some people swear by it, and some like to cube cut. I just grab a flake and work it between my fingers until I get the consistency I like. I will sometimes give Ready Rubbed tobaccos a bit more of a rub as Rush alludes to, but this is just personal preference.

With bars, it depends. Some are actually crumble cakes (like the regular version of Plum Pudding), which means they're pressed from cut leaves. I usually just tear off a piece and rub. Nice and easy, but I think they do have some of the benefits of true plugs in a more manageable package.

Then there are the true plugs, pressed from whole leaves. I use a knife and cut thin flakes against the grain. It's important to cut against the grain with plugs so you get the right porportions of component tobaccos in some cases. Alternatively, I use a guillotine cugar cutter and shave tobacco off the block. Regardless of whether I'm slicing or cutting flakes from a plug, I rub the resulting tobacco into a fine consistency.

Hope you enjoy what you have. Seems like a majority of my smokes come from these cuts. The benefits are many (deeper flavor, slower burning, fun to look at and play with), and they're generally worth the extra effort, IMO.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
SPC Plum Pudding and Mississippi River are a bit different than ones 'regular' type flake.
Both need a little drying but will turn to dust if too dry.
The best way to pack either is to break off small bits, fill and allow it to dry in the bowl. About 30 mins will usually do.

How to prepare other flakes comes down to preference. Flakes like Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake is an easy one to get started. I separate the strands then fold them over. Then use any finer broken bits on top of the bowl as 'kindling' to get the bowl lit easily.
Don't pack tight. Just use gentle pressure to tamp as you fill the bowl.

It takes some practice learning the different types of flake and kake. Different densities and moisture levels.
Learn by starting with smaller bowls until you get the hang of it.

Reactions: Bowie

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
As has been said, it’s primarily personal preference. That being said and aside from questions of the “best” way to do it, I’m very happy I took the time way back when to get the fold and stuff method down pat because it’s just so much easier and less time consuming.