saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
First pass: highlight
Second: delete non-highlighted
Third: highlight from selected text
Fourth: delete text not highlighted in third pass
Fifth: rank remaining text as most to least important

On the third pass on Shantideva's Bodhisattvacaryavatara or A Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Life, among the five most influential Buddhist texts.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
This is an interesting idea, but I think it's a poor way to evaluate a piece of literary art (maybe less so if you're reading a religious text and imposing your own interpretation on it). I can't imagine the punch in the jaw I'd get if I told Hemingway I had deleted paragraphs from The Sun Also Rises and ranked some others as "least important".

I guess what I'm saying is, a work of literature can't be totally deconstructed without losing the holistic meaning intended by the author. Coleridge said "we murder to dissect". It seems like a great way to make a cheat sheet for studying for an exam, or a strategy that could be employed by Cliff's Notes, but not a proper way to appreciate art.

Reactions: edger and dcon
I am a voracious reader. I read everything. I've even read a couple of Russian novels with a device set up with a handgun and pullies where if I pulled my eyes away from the page, it blows my head off. But, reading ancient Hindu text... I think there's a logic cultural difference. It would help if they included more pictures and diagrams. Or hell, just wrote it all in a way that can be understood.

Salt, do you need to borrow a handgun? puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This is an interesting idea, but I think it's a poor way to evaluate a piece of literary art (maybe less so if you're reading a religious text and imposing your own interpretation on it). I can't imagine the punch in the jaw I'd get if I told Hemingway I had deleted paragraphs from The Sun Also Rises and ranked some others as "least important".

I guess what I'm saying is, a work of literature can't be totally deconstructed without losing the holistic meaning intended by the author. Coleridge said "we murder to dissect". It seems like a great way to make a cheat sheet for studying for an exam, or a strategy that could be employed by Cliff's Notes, but not a proper way to appreciate art.
it helps with instructive texts though. Though and I don't know why this works but it does, I just write a key word on a piece of paper I'll never look at again and that works.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I am a voracious reader. I read everything. I've even read a couple of Russian novels with a device set up with a handgun and pullies where if I pulled my eyes away from the page, it blows my head off. But, reading ancient Hindu text... I think there's a logic cultural difference. It would help if they included more pictures and diagrams. Or hell, just wrote it all in a way that can be understood.

Salt, do you need to borrow a handgun? puffy
"The Idiot" was a decent read. I liked the architectural description of Russian buildings. I think my attention span is a bit short these days for Russian novels, too much youtube instant entertainment gratification lately.

Reactions: edger

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
IMO, it depends on your reasons for reading such material. If you're reading this to gain wisdom and enlightenment, it would seem to make sense to try to distill the teachings contained within to their most fundamental form, in which case this method would be excellent. If you're reading for literary enjoyment, then most likely not.

Reactions: haparnold

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Do you print out each forum thread before reading? By the 5th pass it must just be a line of pipe smoking emoji's.

I do use a highlighter if I am researching something, but not for just reading. And I never thought to block out text, although I guess I would make my own bullet point list somewhere else, which is similar.

@cosmicfolklore I hear you on the Russian stuff, I squirmed my way through 'The Idiot', 'Crime & Punishment' 'Anna Whats-her-face', 'War and Peace', 'The Brothers Carry 'em Off' and maybe more, reading material to match a Siberian camp working holiday.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
And all of those damned loooooong Russian names I couldn't keep up with. Why not just shorten them all to Nat, Nik, Andy, Dol, and Mik?
War And Peace was the absolute worst for introducing another character every page, you could go through and highlight the first three letters of each name, then on a second read through scribble out the remaining 20 letters of the name. Remove eyeballs for the third read, and throw book off cliff for any subsequent attempts.

and throw book off cliff for any subsequent attempts.
Handguns and pullies... it got me through that lit class in college.

It was only slightly worse than one class I had in Asian aesthetics where all information came from very badly translated works in several Chinese languages. Sometimes you could read several pages without the author having used any verbs. It was horrible.

• Wow
Reactions: mortonbriar

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You guys are a riot! Really, a spirited response, and far more than I expected.

Cosmic, no I don't need a handgun. I had one but an early sponsor pointed out the
injudiciousness of an alcoholic having one in his home. I sold mine.

The most trenchant critique is the validity of cutting text, as it is at the heart of my method.

By the third pass I cut 300 pages. I am of the opinion that these repeated passes allow a penetration into the text's ideas such that the importance of the ideas becomes relative, lesser and greater. I cut the lesser from the greater as it subsumed by it.

Of the 200 pages remaining I will probably cut another 30? in this pass. Through subsequent passes, and I've never accomplished this, I think it possible to cut the number to 25, fitting the lesser but related abstractions into the larger.

In an interview James Joyce was asked what work he had done that day. He said he had removed a period in the morning and reinserted it the afternoon. My point is that cutting a Hemingway novel predicts large error. But the substance of literature is created by the very individual and highly subjective view of art of the writer. This is a very different matter than the ideas presented in a theological/philosophical work. As a reader I can choose those ideas that are the most compelling to me. You can say that doing so changes Shantideva's presentation. I would say no, I simply separated he greater from the lesser.

Logic is logic and endures through cultural shift. Culture can be interpreted and separated from the pith.

anotherbob's idea of study followed by a one word offering to the universe, not to be seen again, sounds like a great ritual.

musicman captures my method best: "it would seem to make sense to try to distill the teachings contained within to their most fundamental form, in which case this method would be excellent."

A big thank you to all of you for your great responses!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.