PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Carlo

Lurker
Dec 24, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi all,
I've been wondering about this for quite some time now:
After opening a tin (or pouch) of tobacco I transfer the content to screw-capped mason jars.
Considering I'm a very occasional smoker, my tobaccos regularly sit in these jars for months.
My question is: being this the case, am I better off re-vacuum sealing the jars (I've got a machine that can do that) or should I just screw the lid back on tight and let the tobaccos 'breathe'?
I keep them in a closet, which is probably the part of the house least affected by changes in temperature and humidity levels throughout the year, but having 4 seasons here with fairly hot summers and cold winters, fluctuations are inevitable.
What would you recommend?
(I've also been thinking of throwing a small 8g Boveda into each jar for better RH control. I'd be curious to know your opinion on this extra measure also, either way.)
P.S. My tobaccos range from EMs to aromatics, VA/Per etc - they are all ribbon/ready rubbed/broken flake cuts
Thanks.
Carlo

Last edited by a moderator:

Prunetucky84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2020
Clovis, CA
Just throw them in a jar, and make sure there is nothing at all on the rim of the jar, as it could compromise the seal, throw them in the closet, and they will be fine. The gases released by the tobaccos will naturally seal the lid in a couple weeks. If you stood there for that long, you’d actually hear a loud pop! When it happens. Tobaccos that I only smoke on occasions, when I do open the jar, sometimes it’s hard to pop the lid off, as the tobacco sucks the lid on hard! Lol which is what you want. Hope that helps.

Carlo

Lurker
Dec 24, 2020
Thing is, I've had tobaccos losing flavor best case, turning foul worst case.. couldn't quite pinpoint the cause..
Another question inevitably comes to mind: if it's so straightforward why do producers even bother to vacuum pack them at all? ?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Thing is, I've had tobaccos losing flavor best case, turning foul worst case.. couldn't quite pinpoint the cause..
Another question inevitably comes to mind: if it's so straightforward why do producers even bother to vacuum pack them at all? ?

Some do, some don't. And the amount of vacuum is such basically just to keep the seal and moisture levels intact. Baled tobacco can sit for years. Moisture levels have to be maintained, but warehouses aren't hermetically sealed...

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
I am using mason jars currently. I will probably use them in the future, save larger vessels for bigger quantities. Or, I may just divide bulk into smaller lots and put those in mason jars as well. As it relates to the seal, mason jars can be sealed and resealed pretty easily. If further protection is desired, I have seen people use Teflon (plumbers) tape on the outside. But that's as far as my cellaring plans have gotten.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Oxygen deprivation inhibits bacterial growth. In a jar beneficial bacteria consume existing oxygen and seal the jar.

I’ve asked before on here and haven’t gotten a straight answer. Is there a benefit to the aerobic timeline of jar aging? I understand that it’ll go anaerobic before too long, but is there a measurable and discernible benefit from the time between when you put it in a jar and when it becomes anaerobic?

If not, and if we have the capability, why not vacuum seal the jar or Mylar bag immediately?

After all, that’s what they’re doing at the factory and (some) sealed tins tend to do well over insanely long periods of time..

Reactions: jpmcwjr

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
We emulate the aging of venerable tins, and that would be anaerobic. But there's really no way around the aerobic phase, I don't think, because even if vacuum-sealed some oxygen will still exist.

But the effects of whatever phase, because they have never been measured, are unknown. A theoretical physicist told me that he doubted that anyone had ever written an algorithm for fermentation.

That might be a start.

Similarly, most pipe myths are based on unproven assumption.

One such myth, resting your pipes. One guy said that he could notice a difference up to two weeks. But this is variably conclusive. No one, no one, no one can taste what you taste. The verdict of your palate is yours alone to make. So make it, but please don't tell me that your certainty of taste should be mine, because it just can't be done.

Then there's the wood. Old wood, Old Britwood, Castello seasoned wood, Grecian, Italian, Carpathian, Algerian briar--claims are made about all of them by the only calculus that exists--taste. But, again, the true understanding of what you taste cannot be had by another. Best to compliment a wood touter for his taste, reserve your right to disbelieve and move on.

Claims about the characteristics of pipes, be they rested or unrested, be they Castello-seasoned or not, fail both of science's testing criteria, validity and reliability. Invalid because what you taste cannot be measured so as to verify that what you think you tasted was indeed what you tasted. If you say that your test case shows the truth of this or that, the logic of validity cannot be brought to bear, because the community has no measurements to analyze your findings.

Unreliable because even if the community could assess the truth of your palate, that you indeed tasted what you said you did, and thus is valid, because one's taste is in the end entirely subjective, no one else can replicate the entirely subjective results of the original smoker. Your findings are thus unreliable because they cannot be verified by the community.

You may say what about tobaccoreviews as a source for valid and reliable tobacco information? What about guys with a history of writing tobacco reviews who post on the forum? Certainly their judicious use passes both tests.

But what I'm addressing are the pipe myths that purport to offer standards for smoking that are immeasurable and subjective: again, resting pipes, the wood, the wood, the wood, straight grain pipes smoke x, y or z, bowl geometry, thick walls mean a cooler smoke, as does the length of the stem, the shape of the slot, orific, "modern" or otherwise, the consummate characteristics found smoking certain dearly expensive pipes and some sublime Dunhills from the first half of the 20th Century. Claims about any of these characteristics are subtle, if they exist at all, and have no possibility of being verified, but read the forum or elsewhere and you will find they never stop.

They are most egregiously used by the retail sites who will say anything even if only semi-verifiable to make the sale, even if probably false. A successful, reputable pipe seller offered me the fact that Castello wood was exceedingly fine. I read the same opinion on the forum recently.

You will say they are just making a living. Well, what about making it with a dignity that demarcates a living from that which embraces truth and avoids a living propelled by greed.

How do you know this any of this ? C'mon! Where's your proof?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I’ve asked before on here and haven’t gotten a straight answer. Is there a benefit to the aerobic timeline of jar aging? I understand that it’ll go anaerobic before too long, but is there a measurable and discernible benefit from the time between when you put it in a jar and when it becomes anaerobic?
<< Snipped bits out >>

If anyone has written about that, it's Greg Pease.

My guess is there is little to no benefit of aerobic aging. Different from letting some tobaccos "breathe" for a bit.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon