PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I'm often looking things that would work great for pipes and pipe accessories, but I'm normally unsuccessful. For a long time I've been looking for something that would be great for churchwarden length pipe cleaners which I occasionally use for churchwardens but mainly buy them to cut in half and double the amount of pipe cleaners for about half the cost. The floral department at the grocery store was selling these. Most had a floral pattern (definitely not for me), but this one was just danged cool! And it worked out perfectly! Anyone else have any items you have re-purposed for pipes and related items? Let's see them here.

rMZAwjF.jpg

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
That's really cool! I'm a bit on the thrifty side so I buy old ash trays that catch my eye at antique stores then hot glue a champagne cork in the middle instead of spending real money on official pipe ash trays. I had a bad habit of setting my pipe tool down and letting the pipe pixies make off with it so my friend who's a farier gave me a handfull of horseshoe nails; they work great and if I lose one or two to the pixies I don't feel so bad.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
20200225_161925.jpg
This repurposed rack originally held test tubes filled with scented bath salts that my gf got for her bday last year. In front is a couple of improvised tampers. Also, I can't find it right now to take a pic but I once attached a large-ish spice jar cork topper to a big ashtray with a dab of candle wax for a cork-knocker pipe ashtray.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I ordered one of those leather wrapped Xikar cigar ashtray cup holder cans and some cork knockers with the intent of removing the cigar grill, sticking a knocker onto the underside of the pop-off lid, and turning it into a portable pipe ashtray that I can keep in my man bag.

FA44A99A-074A-424C-9B40-50FAFCFCB330.png

Reactions: danimalia

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
if you get the smaller non-tapered cork pipe knockers with the adhesive on back they fit inside a round screw top tin. then you can use it as an ashtray and close it back up.

these:

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
if you get the smaller non-tapered cork pipe knockers with the adhesive on back they fit inside a round screw top tin. then you can use it as an ashtray and close it back up.

these:

That’s the kind I ordered! I happen to also have some small round tins that I got to store ounce samples of Tinderbox tobaccos, so that’s perfect! That’d let me turn the Xikar thing into a mini garbage can for pipe cleaners and 9mm filters, and for dumping the contents of the little tin ashtray once they’ve cooled off.

Reactions: BROBS and seanv

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That’s the kind I ordered! I happen to also have some small round tins that I got to store ounce samples of Tinderbox tobaccos, so that’s perfect! That’d let me turn the Xikar thing into a mini garbage can for pipe cleaners and 9mm filters, and for dumping the contents of the little tin ashtray once they’ve cooled off.
Just something I discovered one day messing with an empty tin. Then I keep the tintray in my car door pocket.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I made a pipe stand out of a cigar box. I just removed the lid, cut notches in it, and wedged it up with shims. I told myself I'd glue it eventually, but it's working fine how it is. I put match boxes in the bottom to raise the floor and it holds my full bents nicely.
View attachment 20631
I know, I know, I need to clean my pipes!
That's awesome. I actuqlly use an old Hoyo de Monterrey box to store pipes, but theyre all in there haphazardly. This might sound like a pathetic question (but I am a pathetic man when it comes to diy stuff) but what did you use to cut the notches in the lid?

Reactions: rushx9

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
That's really cool! I'm a bit on the thrifty side so I buy old ash trays that catch my eye at antique stores then hot glue a champagne cork in the middle instead of spending real money on official pipe ash trays. I had a bad habit of setting my pipe tool down and letting the pipe pixies make off with it so my friend who's a farier gave me a handfull of horseshoe nails; they work great and if I lose one or two to the pixies I don't feel so bad.
Baller! I just glued a humble wine cork into an Escudo tin ;)

Reactions: Pierre1965

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
That's awesome. I actuqlly use an old Hoyo de Monterrey box to store pipes, but theyre all in there haphazardly. This might sound like a pathetic question (but I am a pathetic man when it comes to diy stuff) but what did you use to cut the notches in the lid?
Thanks! Started with a pocket knife but smoothed it out with a cordless dremel.

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.