PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I have a question for pipe makers and repairers: Is it possible to re-cut an existing vulcanite stem? I recently sent in a pipe stem to have the tenon replaced. I dropped it, and the tenon snapped off in the mortise. When my stem was repaired and sent back, I noticed it looked completely different; new bit and new button, but still vulcanite. When I called to inquire, the repair man couldn't remember my pipe exactly, but insisted that if he made a new stem he would have returned the original. My receipt only indicates a tenon repair, not a stem replacement. I didn't get far with this fellow (he wasn't all that helpful), so I decided to get y'all's thoughts. I'm curious because the pipe is a Stanwell handmade from the sixties. The stem was original too with the Stanwell "S" stamp. The stamp is no longer there. It was a shallow stamp to begin with, which could have been buffed out during repair. I'd like to know if it's possible that I still have my original stem, just reshaped.
Thanks,

Sam

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's hard to say what happened, but it's even worse that the repair guy doesn't know what was done to your pipe (and couldn't find out).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This was the man who supposedly repaired the pipe who can't remember? I don't believe that. Since he isn't

saying what happened, I can only surmise that he wasn't happy with it and feels responsible, but doesn't want

to tell you about it. So my best guess (which is all I can do) is that it was a simple repair that he somehow botched

and then went ahead and made a new stem, and is now suffering from "oops" amnesia. I'd go ahead and enjoy

the pipe, and find a different pipe repairman.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Yeah, the stem works well. In fact, it's more comfortable than the original. I just wish I could have held onto the stem that came with the pipe. Thanks for your advice fellas.
SA

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I did some research and it looks like one could indeed recut an existing stem. It also looks like this happens primarily with vulcanite stems. I found this information on a blog called "reborn pipes." I'm leaning more toward the theory that I still have my original stem, just reworked/reshape with the stamp buffed out in the process. I'll try to reach out to the repair guy again and get some clarity. I'll keep y'all posted.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Yes, ae1pt, I do believe the stem is slightly shorter than what I remember. In fact, I noticed that when it was returned to me. I can also tell that some work was done to the tenon; it appears to have been glued on and sanded smooth. This would make sense because the damaged tenon was less than a perfect break. The excess would have had to be removed in order to attach a new tenon, which would have affected the stem stamp.
Thanks for the advice, ae1pt. I'm more convinced that I have my original stem. I still plan to give the repair guy a call to be certain. If it is a reworked stem, he did a wonderful job. Now if I can just find someone who can replace stem logos...

Status
Not open for further replies.