PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
One of the things I absolutely love about this forum is the ability for anyone, veteran or Noob alike, to ask any question at any time. One thing I've observed in these questions, however, is that often the question is precipitated by significant anxiety on the part of the questioner concerning the matter at hand (moisture level, tobacco storage, pipe cleaning techniques, etc.). I get it. People are worried about their purchases, and the various obstacles and learning curves to getting the most out of smoking a pipe can represent a daunting challenge.

However, in the home-brewing community (which I'm sure some of you belong to as well) there is an acronym for many such questions: RDWHAHB, which stands for Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew. It was pioneered by Charlie Papazian, one of the gurus of home brewing, and it basically means "be patient, don't worry, you'll figure this out". Perhaps we could use a similar acronym for the piping community: RDWGSAB: Relax, Don't Worry, Go Smoke A Bowl.

Aug 1, 2012
I get ya OP. People have been brewing for hundreds of years without the amount of worry we put in. The corollary is, of course, people have been smoking and enjoying pipes for a few hundred years without worrying so much either. Don't get paralyzed by worries, just smoke and learn. Ask questions, sure. Just don't let your nerves get in the way of a good smoke.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Papazian. I must have read that book almost 30 years ago. Yikes, how time has flown.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
One of the things I absolutely love about this forum is the ability for anyone, veteran or Noob alike, to ask any question at any time. One thing I've observed in these questions, however, is that often the question is precipitated by significant anxiety on the part of the questioner concerning the matter at hand (moisture level, tobacco storage, pipe cleaning techniques, etc.). I get it. People are worried about their purchases, and the various obstacles and learning curves to getting the most out of smoking a pipe can represent a daunting challenge.

However, in the home-brewing community (which I'm sure some of you belong to as well) there is an acronym for many such questions: RDWHAHB, which stands for Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew. It was pioneered by Charlie Papazian, one of the gurus of home brewing, and it basically means "be patient, don't worry, you'll figure this out". Perhaps we could use a similar acronym for the piping community: RDWGSAB: Relax, Don't Worry, Go Smoke A Bowl.

Smithsonian Magazine's latest edition just featured Papazian with a GREAT article. Good timing!

The Schoolteacher Who Sparked America's Craft Brew Revolution - https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/charlie-papazian-sparked-americas-craft-brew-revolution-180974877/