Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I normally don't do this sort of thing but I have to say I have just had a fantastic experience which Chuck "RC" Sands and his pipes. For those of you who don't know, Chuck makes and sells his own pipes (Smoker's Haven has a few) under the name RC Sands.
What you get are good solid pipes, machine made stems, low price, and fantastic guy to deal with. I ended up grabbing two of his pipes off of ebay for about $75 total. Now I knew before I got them these weren't blemish free pipes, but Chuck doesn't seem to fill in the pits or try and hide imperfections in the briar. That's more then fine with me, especially at this price point. The pipes were drilled well, airways WIDE open, and had uncoated bowls.
Long story short, both pipes smoked very well but I noticed on one of them that an imperfection in the briar was causing the sturdy shank to develop a crack after about four smokes. Looking closer I could see that it was on the verge of going halfway around the shank. I hadn't taken the stem off since I first inspected it so I was sure it was due to the briar's inherent weakness.
I contacted Chuck via email to see what he could do and he immediately with no questions asked, offered to either refund the pipe for the full amount or swap it with another. He even sent his phone number in case I wanted to talk. Since I was really impressed by the pipes I was more then happy to swap it. I sent the pipe back and he sent me a picture of another pipe similar to it asking if I would be happy with it.
Well the new pipe arrived today and I couldn't be happier with it. I think the pot shape is a bit under rated in the pipe world.
Anyway. Chuck was a FANTASTIC guy to work with, his pipes smoke very well (solid is a word that comes to mind), and I would love to do business with him again in the future.
Oh and here's a REALLY bad cell phone pic of my new pipe...the blast is much better in person.
imag0871-600x359.jpg

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I agree. I live in Columbus near smokers haven and I have had the chance to hang out with and get to know chuck on a few occasions. I have bought a couple pipes from him for myself and for friends who wanted/needed a new pipe. Chuck's pipes are not high end nor are they fancy. What they are is unpretentious pipes that you can smoke and smoke well. So if you are looking for a pipe that is less than $100 (often $25-$50 on his ebay page) then you can't go wrong with and RC Sands.
Here is one with a smokin holster pouch I got a few months ago

20140125_185920-600x337.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a great way to carve and sell pipes. He sounds like a philosopher and a gentleman, and a maker

of fine smoking pipes who'll stand behind his product. I like the looks of these. Understated but

fine looking, nice.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Del that's a nice little flake pipe. I was looking at a smaller egg he had at Smoker's Haven before I bought two off his ebay page.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Del that's a nice little flake pipe
That is exactly what I was going for. I asked chuck for a small pipe like that and she brought it to me when we met up. I have only smoked it once but look forward to breaking it in when the weather warms up a bit.
jah76 - are you from columbus?

Status
Not open for further replies.