PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I had a couple of the low end ones that were absolutely fine, and probably a little better appointed for a similarly price pointed Savinelli Roma or Rossi, for example.
Ended up selling them off just because my taste in shapes changed.

My guess is that they are made by BC for Rattray's.
They do add that bit of a Scottish style to them, which is cool, and I like a lot of their shapes.
I'd buy another one, but I'll go higher end next time I do.
I've heard a rumor that Altinays makes the meers for Rattray's, and that might be my next buy.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I have a "Glory Days" sandblasted cherrywood. It is a nice pipe with a lovely metal piece on the bottom which has a Celtic cross lasered thereon. Smokes well although it is 9mm, which is not my preference generally. One thing that is especially nice about the pipe, and unusual at the price point which I think was around $200, is the box which holds the pipe. Very nice indeed and appreciated.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Rattrays are made in France and Companys head office is located in Germany, as far as Rattarys Meerschaum go those look like if tjey are well made by reputable manufacturer, I might be consider having one of those .but unfortunately , Rattrays meerschums come almost exclusively with 9mm filters as do 99% of Altinay pipes sold in EU ,perhaps with all these filtered pipes they are aiming at conquering German /Austrian market

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Rattrays are made in France and Companys head office is located in Germany, as far as Rattarys Meerschaum go those look like if tjey are well made by reputable manufacturer, I might be consider having one of those .but unfortunately , Rattrays meerschums come almost exclusively with 9mm filters as do 99% of Altinay pipes sold in EU ,perhaps with all these filtered pipes they are aiming at conquering German /Austrian market
Yeah, I've read that Altinays does most of their business with the German market so that would make sense.
I just bought a pipe directly from them and its fabulous.

I don't mind the 9mm, but I feel like at least one of the Rattray's briars I've owned came with the adaptor tube to insert and make it have the same draw as unfiltered.
I also have used those to take it from 9mm to a 6mm filter, which works almost the same as unfiltered, so there are a couple easy cheap fixes.

Reactions: shermnatman

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Dang, I think I bought a Rattray's pipe from someone on here months ago and dropped it into the strategic reserve.

I need to dig it out and take it for a test drive...

1608420728600.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and Elric