PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I was fortunate to find a tin of Hal O' The Wynd, blended "by Charles Rattray at Perth Scotland." My guess is that since it was a pull-top, and not a cutter-top tin, it was likely from the late 70s to the late 80s, between the time that pull-tops became widespread and when Rattray ceased operations, prior to resumption of production by was picked up by Kohlhase & Kopp.
The tin was under pressure and sprayed a little tobacco all over the table upon pulling back the lid. I wasn't sure what to expect, having no basis for comparison but the modern version, but the aroma was immediately familiar. It's a rich, dark red Virginia--vinegar and dark stewed fruit, very intense. I have to imagine that this red Virginia must have been, at least in part, the inspiration for McClelland's Red Cake (#5100). These were apparently ribbons, and not broken flake like the modern incarnation. Colors deep scarlet red mottled with darker brown and lighter outliers. The nose has an acetic tang like yesterday's red wine.
Similarly to #5100 the dark fruit and rich Virginia qualities of the smoke shone through yet they were prominent even in the first quarter of the bowl. The depth and body were nearly immediate at first light and increased linearly throughout. Many of the qualities that 5100 presented at the three-quarter bowl mark were evident throughout this Hal O' The Wynd. A satisfying depth of body, a roundness without sharp extremes. Oats underneath. Malt and dried berries. No grass or hay, nor the herbal qualities of the modern offering. I'm disinclined to say this is due to aging as there seems to be no vestige of it that would indicate an evolution of flavors induced by aging.
All in all I have to say it was surprising, and set a real high bar for red Virginias. McClelland #5100 and Tavern Tobacco's Boar's Head are in the neighborhood. The tobacco plant hasn't changed as far as I know. Somebody raise the bar again! Get the recipe dammit!
IMG-20190830-193613.jpg

IMG-20190830-193621.jpg

IMG-20190830-193629.jpg

IMG-20190830-193648.jpg

IMG-20190830-193709.jpg

IMG-20190830-193713.jpg

IMG-20190830-194358.jpg

IMG-20190830-194608.jpg

IMG-20190830-195326.jpg

The image below is the old and the new (left and right, respectively). The older version was a mottled, chopped ribbon whereas it seemed the newer version was more of a broken, tumbled flake. Grassier, nuttier and wonderful in its own rite. Interestingly the aroma of the new stuff was similar to the original except that it was considerably attenuated.
IMG-20190830-202040.jpg

Below is a comparison between the old Hal O' The Wynd and some McClelland Red Cake. Structurally they are remarkably similar. The cut, the motley red autumn colors, like a pile of damp red autumn leaves.
IMG-20190830-202351.jpg

Reactions: oldtoby

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Great find.... I have a new tin of HOTW and it is an amazing tobacco.

It truly is. I think it's the first tobacco I ever bought more than a few pounds of. It's all sitting there in a big jar just getting funkier and funkier every year. Not related at all but I think that Marlin Flake is my top as far as flakes currently.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
The original HOTW is a completely different animal than todays version. I think Robert McConnell took over blending for Charles after he closed shop. Now it's K&K.
There's a way of dating Rattray's tins by the colour of the tin bottom. Some are gold, some silver. Can't remember which is which. It's hell getting old.... :wink:
Btw, congrats on the find. Enjoy it.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I love them both. HOTW is differentiated from 5100 in that, in addition to red virginia, it has significant quantities of both dark fired Kentucky and perique

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Very cool, thanks for the pics! Hal is pretty much the only tobacco that always sounds good to me. If I could stop smoking so damn much of it, I'd have a huge stash of it in the basement. It's like Colt .45: does it every time.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I love them both. HOTW is differentiated from 5100 in that, in addition to red virginia, it has significant quantities of both dark fired Kentucky and perique
I don't know because I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere, but I wonder if the old HOTW has Perique as well. Or whether that's K&K's solution for punching up the Virginias.
I'd have a huge stash of it in the basement. It's like Colt .45: does it every time.
Billy Dee Williams will protect your stash.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very interesting thread! It very interesting how different people perceive flavors.
I like HOTW quite a lot, but have never thought of it as 5100 like. 5100 is a snooze, a great base for concocting blends, but just too mild and monochromatic on it's own to hold my interest. HOTW does have a few things going on with it that I like very, very much.
Rattray did turn over manufacturing to McConnell which in turn went to K&K after they bought McConnell. One of my friends is a big fan of HOTW who used to hang out at the shop in Perth and who says that the current K&K stuff is a dead ringer with what he bought those many years ago in the shop in Perth.
Flavor perception and memory are very subjective, and the effects of long term aging of tobacco is quite variable, which keeps this all interesting.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Check out J. Loring's Dating English Tobacco Tins. (Sorry, no link)
Your tin is from the 70's. I'm a bit envious... :mrgreen:

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
sablebrush52 and oldtoby, let me send you samples! I'll send another two for anyone who posted above that might be interested. send me a message and when the USPS is up again after the holiday weekend I'll send them out.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
A very cool offer greeneyes, but keep it and enjoy. That four ounce tin will go faster than you think.
I have been smoking some 80's McConnell made HOTW and luvin' it.... :D

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Hal is a trusty blend. I always try to pick up a tin or two whenever its in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.