PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
I realize this is subjective but to those who smoke this blend regularly. Any opinions as to how long to cellar till the profile becomes even better. Thanks!

Reactions: UncleRasta

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Haven’t smoked what I just bought. Got two unopened 2018 cans.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I don't know yet, but I do know that it is absolutely delicious when fresh. I just popped a tin the other day and after some drying it's a flavor bomb. I have some tins aging that are about as old as yours, but I've never smoked any of the older stuff.
I'm a little wary of the aging thing. While I don't doubt the many smokers who have good experiences with it, there is also a point that's often made that the blenders turn out the blend as they think it should be, ready to smoke.
I have some tins cellared that I'll allow to sit for some years, but I don't expect a revelation. I just have to try it, for better or worse.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
It's great both ways. Super fresh it's pretty lively, might offer a little nip on the tongue. Sharp, sweet, and spicy. Aged, the kentucky comes more forward, the blend seems sweeter, or at least easier to get along with, the flavors are more to the red virginia and woody kentucky end. It's great tobacco, never boring, never heavy.

dPero

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2022
Stafilic
I tried it fresh and didn’t like it and have 6 or 7 100g tins in cellar , will see if aging make me like it

Reactions: pcfdave

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It's great both ways. Super fresh it's pretty lively, might offer a little nip on the tongue. Sharp, sweet, and spicy. Aged, the kentucky comes more forward, the blend seems sweeter, or at least easier to get along with, the flavors are more to the red virginia and woody kentucky end. It's great tobacco, never boring, never heavy.
This sounds great both fresh and aged. I have a couple of tins with 6 months on them, but have never tried it yet.

Reactions: UncleRasta

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Got it recently a 2018 version and upon opening it I found it smelled like red apples and sweet Virginia leaf. The scent was unique to any other Virginias I've had. It was great. Going to smoke through one and save the the other for another 5-10 years. Cheers! Thanks for all your input.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Btw you may be surprised to know but wind a toy, is how it’s pronounced, not like wind in your hair
Wynd = "street" in old Scottish.

I've smoked 20+ year old HOTW and it's excellent, but not necessarily better than the 5 year old cans. The sweet spot seems to be about 3-5 years and after that it's diminishing returns.

Reactions: kcghost and pcfdave