PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
West Virginia Smoke Shop carries one of the best inventories of new Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole, Dr. Grabow and other U.S. factory pipes. So despite my better judgement, having more than my share of pipes already, I ordered one from them. It was billed as A Rare Pipe! I thought that was a bit of salesmanship, but after long deliberation, I ordered it yesterday. This morning I see they've taken down that pipe from the site. So they were speaking truth. That was the last one on hand. The problem with many pipes is, even the best of the best of them only gets smoked about three times a year, if you keep up the rotation. An embarrassment of riches.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you're interested in new U.S. factory pipes, take a look at West Virginia Smoke Shop. They don't have all the series of Kaywoodie pipes they list (for example) but they have several of a number of the series. They have Yello-Bole, Medico, and Dr. Grabow as well, and they do seem to have enough of a supply pipeline (pardon the pun) so they replenish the inventory regularly. Check out the Checker series under the Yello-Bole brand, for interesting carving and lighter stain. Also they have higher end Kaywoodie pipes including hand-made pipes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
West Virginia Smoke Shop carries one of the best inventories of new Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole, Dr. Grabow and other U.S. factory pipes. So despite my better judgement, having more than my share of pipes already, I ordered one from them. It was billed as A Rare Pipe! I thought that was a bit of salesmanship, but after long deliberation, I ordered it yesterday. This morning I see they've taken down that pipe from the site. So they were speaking truth. That was the last one on hand. The problem with many pipes is, even the best of the best of them only gets smoked about three times a year, if you keep up the rotation. An embarrassment of riches.
I refuse to have more pipes then I can smoke regularly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
They've shipped this "rare" pipe, and it should be here in about three days, Saturday maybe. Yes, wise are the pipe smokers who keep their stable at about twenty or fewer. I'd leave a little room in the rotation for one or two especially big and quite small pipes, for their unique purposes, and a churchwarden and maybe a Hungarian/Oom-Paul. I wish the law of diminishing returns was felt more distinctly by me, but breaking out a pipe I haven't seen a while is a pleasure, so despite culling, I live in a pipe world of too many. I could smoke happily with just my cobs, or my Savinelli, or my Petes, or my French pipes. If I figure this out, I'll open a pipe acquisition disorder rehabilitation clinic.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
If you're interested in new U.S. factory pipes, take a look at West Virginia Smoke Shop. They don't have all the series of Kaywoodie pipes they list (for example) but they have several of a number of the series. They have Yello-Bole, Medico, and Dr. Grabow as well, and they do seem to have enough of a supply pipeline (pardon the pun) so they replenish the inventory regularly. Check out the Checker series under the Yello-Bole brand, for interesting carving and lighter stain. Also they have higher end Kaywoodie pipes including hand-made pipes.
How would you sum up the quality of today's new Yello Bole pipes? I am thinking of getting one Yello Bole for smoking. I have an unsmoked one from the 30s and am hesitant to light it up.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
“I could smoke happily with just my cobs,” -MSO

I know you said a bit more than that. —It’s just that it resonated with me, because I’m rotating through a half dozen cobs for the rest of the summer and I haven’t had a bad smoke yet!

Indeed I could happily smoke just my cobs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one Yello-Bole, that I happen to be smoking. It's not new, but it isn't an estate pipe. I bought it about six years ago and have been smoking it in rotation with my stable of ninety some pipes. It's a Checker series, with distinctive carving, squares with alternate squares dappled with carving and the others smooth. This is a low-priced pipe, but I find its smoking characteristics good, and it is light, durable, has ample bowl, and an open draw. I've been more than satisfied. If you like American factory pipes, this is a good one. You have to be content with its unpretentiousness; otherwise I think you will find it all good.