PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I've been collecting authentic S.T. Dupont lighters for a number of years now. It's pretty easy to spot the counterfeits, which I avoid getting stuck with. Go on Ebay & you will find hundreds of counterfeit Line 2 Tall models, but zero Line 1 counterfeits, & zero counterfeit Line 2 Gatsby (short) models. However, I have read online about of a small run of counterfeit Line 2 Gatsbys from years ago, & while I check new listings regularly to look for authentic items that I want to buy, I have never seen a counterfeit Line2 Gatsby (shorty) , until now:

Link>>> Both Fakes

There are multiple clues that neither of these are authentic, but the easiest way to tell with these two besides the fake "serial numbers", is that they have plated finishes - but are marked "Laque de Chine" on the bottom - which should only be on Duponts with a lacquer finish. It is interesting to finally see a real fake L2 Gatsby!
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
puffy

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Excellent info! It's nice to learn how to tell the difference especially considering how many fakes are out there.

I don't mind having the counterfeit Dupont I own. It's actually a nice lighter for the price and at least it was marketed as a "Genuine Counterfeit". ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've had two stolen (ok I might have lost them) but have three left. Love 'em, those FauxPonts. Solid as a brick - and almost as heavy- they are simply well made. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a real DuPont out of the house.

And I hope that bastard who took mine spent a lot of time in a pawnshop before being told: "You go away!"

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
It really is a shame there are so many counterfeits out there...
Yes, but that fake Gatsby is scarce/rare IMHO. Of course I don't check every single one that gets listed online, but early on in 5+ years of looking at Duponts I had heard about some fake Gastbys from the '80s, but that's the first fake L2 Short/Gatsby that I've actually seen. All other fakes that I've seen have been L2 Talls.

Solid as a brick - and almost as heavy...
They're overweight. =) Anyway, Line 1s with the barrel-style flame adjuster are the way to go for piping, for their easy one-handed on-the-fly flame adjustments. Can't be done on a Line 2, fake or otherwise.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
<< Snipped bits out >>

They're overweight. =) Anyway, Line 1s with the barrel-style flame adjuster are the way to go for piping, for their easy one-handed on-the-fly flame adjustments. Can't be done on a Line 2, fake or otherwise.

Ok, but I dislike flame directors, as I feel I can do better on my own. And I've never needed to adjust the flame on the fly... And then there's the $800+ in my pocket.

• Haha
Reactions: bnichols23

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Ok, but I dislike flame directors, as I feel I can do better on my own. And I've never needed to adjust the flame on the fly... And then there's the $800+ in my pocket.
I was referring to the barrel-style flame adjuster on the Line 1s, but if you don't want a Pipe-Flame nozzle on a Line1, they come with Standard-Flame nozzles as standard, & you can get optional Cigar-Flame & Pipe-Flame nozzles. Maybe you don't adjust the flame because it's such a pain to do on those Line 2s. =) I usually want to adjust through three flame heights during a smoke. You can easily spend less than $800 on an authentic one, although new L1s through a retailer are basically ITF. If you like the fake L2s, then you should grab that fake Gatsby/shorty since that's the only one I've ever seen, & I look regularly. ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My fake one came with a warranty card, owners manual etc. I just need the box lol
Hah! What is useful are the flints and butane nozzle.

I was referring to the barrel-style flame adjuster on the Line 1s, but if you don't want a Pipe-Flame nozzle on a Line1, they come with Standard-Flame nozzles as standard, & you can get optional Cigar-Flame & Pipe-Flame nozzles. Maybe you don't adjust the flame because it's such a pain to do on those Line 2s. =) I usually want to adjust through three flame heights during a smoke. You can easily spend less than $800 on an authentic one, although new L1s through a retailer are basically ITF. If you like the fake L2s, then you should grab that fake Gatsby/shorty since that's the only one I've ever seen, & I look regularly. ?
Real Ligne 2 or fake? LINK

I pretty much am happy with any flame height except high. And with a few lighters handy, I have some difference in flame height.

Reactions: bnichols23

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Amazing how much they can get right (never held a fake in person), but they can't be bothered to mimic the serial #'s. Always wondered if there were any fake Shaman L2's out there and finally saw one a few weeks ago. Mine is currently being converted to a pipe burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.