Random Trivia Quiz Question For You All.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well folks, time to announce the winner.
First off, Cosmic aka Michael was close but not close enough. Workman was definitely on the right scent in referring to my recent reading material but Jazz aka James hit it bang on the head....well done that man :clap:
Your aromas will be bagged up and posted :puffy:
Now on the second volume of Peter Newman's excellent trilogy relating the history of the Hudson's Bay Company I came across some fascinating details of the voyageurs and the incredibly harsh lives they led.
Up at first light (usually 4am), load the canoe and paddle until 8am when they pulled over and had breakfast. After that, rest periods of five minutes every hour were allowed where the paddlers lit their pipes "so that distances came to be measured by the number of pipes instead of miles."
I know if I were to be involved in this occupation I'd take my huge Upshall pipe with a bowl the size of a bucket!
Thanks to all for taking part, t'was a bit of fun.
Regards,
Jay.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
There is a lot to be said for coincidence. I can't say I would have got anywhere near it if I had not been watching that TV show recently.
Your aromas will be bagged up and posted
LOL...hang on to them, my good man. Perhaps you could use them in a future scratch and sniff competition. Little cards of guess the tobacco. Blend Bingo, perhaps? Lord knows what the prize will be for getting those correct but I'm sure you could come up with something :D
Kudos, Jazz! Arguably one of our most astute contributors.
:rofl: I doubt that.
Good fun, Jay. Good fun.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just as an aside, it is quite remarkable how much weight of cargo those birch bark canoes could carry despite their seemingly fragile construction. Something like one quarter ton of cargo and paddler per foot on a 30/40 foot canoe!
These were indeed remarkable vessels clearly improved over many generations to deal with the harsh conditions of the far north. Much kudos to those who designed and paddled these extraordinary boats.
One English visitor in the period of the HBC claimed that he felt he had to keep his tongue in the middle of his mouth lest the canoe capsized 8O
Regards,
Jay.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Interesting; I read in a history of railways that when the surveyors were working on routes in Turkey the locals were measuring distances in numbers of pipes smoked too.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Yes John, some of the carrying canoes (be it them carrying pelts or trading goods) could be of considerable size. Hauled out of the water every evening they were patched up with heated tree sap for the following day's journey.
To read of their exploits is a great pleasure and one I would heartily recommend to anyone who has the slightest interest in the HBC and indeed the forming of Canada as we know it today for the HBC played a huge part.
Mr. Newman's books are readily available on Amazon for effectively pennies!
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.