Random Trivia Quiz Question For You All.

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Here's one for the historians amongst you....
In what arena was distance travelled measured in the amount of pipe bowls smoked?
The first correct answer gets to sniff (sniff only, no smoking) my entire (but slowly shrinking) McClelland tobacco stash :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
WI
Huh? Like if you lined up all the tobacco? Or pipes, or people? I'm confused. But I like this game.

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Outer Space
It seems like I remember reading in a novel that time was measured by pipes on an ocean voyage. But, that was the only place I have ever seen it referred to.

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Outer Space
Well, I am about to sign off till next week. I hope I can remember to check back in to see what the answer is... well, if I even remember the question, ha ha.

Happy Easter guys!!!

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
Not ocean travel ... or it wouldn't make sense ... since wind and ocean conditions would extend or limit pipe bowls as much as distance. Maybe railroad travel?

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Outer Space
In the novel, Sot-Weed Factor, about an idiotic man that inherits a tobacco farm in Maryland (not a very good read BTW), the characters riding as passengers across the pond spend the entire voyage talking and drinking in the cabins. Apparently days and nights start to blur, and the characters refer to amounts of time in pipes, 'three pipes till diner,' and such. It is fiction, and I don't read much about ocean travel, so... it was my guess.

Horses seem precarious for pipes. Coaches and trains would be the only other historical forms of travel that lend themself to pipes. Well, maybe walking.

workman

Preferred Member
Jan 5, 2018
Because the OP has been binge-reading stuff about North American history lately, my guess would be something from 19th century America. Some kind of ferry on one of the rivers perhaps.

jazz

Preferred Member
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I'm sure I heard mention of this whilst watching something recently to do with the voyageurs of the fur trade. It may have been a Ray Mears programme about the canoeists of The Hudson Bay Company. I can't think what else it would have been if not for that.

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Huh? Like if you lined up all the tobacco? Or pipes, or people?"

Come on Didi, you're an intelligent chap, the question and reward are simple enough for a four yearold to figure out.
Regards,
Julian.

workman

Preferred Member
Jan 5, 2018
I think Jazz nailed it. I googled and found something about that. Vouageurs for the fur trade on Lake Superior and others. Travelling by canoe.

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
Never run across that one! It's gotta be some endeavor where the travel is slow, boring and little physical effort is involved. Or, the physical effort is expended by others. Damn!

cossackjack

Preferred Member
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Just surmising, but this sounds good to me...
Plowing a field with a team of oxen or horses & a walking-plow. The oxen could plow 1 furlong (1 furrow length or "acre's length", or 1/8 mile) before needing to rest & to turn the plow around.

An acre was 1 furlong long by 1 chain (66 feet) wide, or the area that could be plowed in 1 day.

The tobacco pipes of the time were small, so a bowl could be smoked whilst plowing a furlong.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
WI
Meh this is the reason I don't do cross word puzzles. You have to know things to do those. I'm more of a word search kinda guy.
Reword the question in word search for for me, and I got this!