Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Reactions: Tar Wheel

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Recently, random ? characters are showing in posts.

Here's a link to one thread.
Hilarious Pipe Description :: General Pipe Smoking Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/hilarious-pipe-description.88858/

Scroll to post 7 and 11 (user @ChasingEmbers)
Post 13 (user @Simmerdown)
Post 14 (user @MtnGeo)

Can you guys offer any insight if you were trying to post an emoji or something that perhaps didn't get correctly parsed and had a question mark show instead?

Thanks!
That’s exactly what happened with one of my posts. I typed a “thank you” emoji from my iPad keyboard and it posted as a question mark. I noticed others having the same problem.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Looks like they were using emoticons from their devices, which didn't translate into0 the forums programming. In Simmerdowns post, it seems like I remember seeing the emoticons when I first read his post, but now their gone. Maybe something in your code changed?

I also notice that if when I select puffy and if it gets put in the wrong part of my post, if I cut and paste it or drag it to the part that I want it to be in, that it shows up written out as (puffy). it doesn't show written out thought until after I post the reply. In my text box it shows as the emoticon. Now, I just delete it and reselect it from the drop down.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That’s odd. Has something changed recently ? I have used emojis on my tablet in the past and they’ve posted without a problem.

@Simmerdown☕️ practically writes entire posts with emojis.?‍♂️
Good question. Maybe something changed from a mobile os update?

I was told in the Xenforo support forums that we need to install unicode support. It's outside of my skill level, so I've added it to my web developer's list.

He's really busy with several things to work on here, so it won't be fast.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA

I was told in the Xenforo support forums that we need to install unicode support. It's outside of my skill level, so I've added it to my web developer's list.

Yes, apparently past posts with emoji’s have been coming up ?? for me as well. It’s quite possibly a licensing/expiration thing. @j

@jpmcwjr made me aware of this. It’s likely a licensing/expiration tag thing…but who knows. ?‍♂️☕

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Easy enough fix to use only those emojis that show up in the list accessible in the edit box. And there are a ton of them. ? (Crystal ball.)

? ? ? ?‍♂️ ? :coffee:

Reactions: jvnshr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An aside, but a style point nonetheless, it is not necessary to recopy the original post of a thread in responding to it. The assumption is that, though posts often build on and respond to each other, everything relates back to the original post and assumes each person posting has read it. Maybe if there is some complicated point being addressed, this would be useful, but usually not.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Easy enough fix to use only those emojis that show up in the list accessible in the edit box. And there are a ton of them. ? (Crystal ball.)

? ? ? ?‍♂️ ? :coffee:
Yes! But they'd be way EASIER to use if the list weren't buried in a submenu. Months ago there was a request that it be put with the other readily available icons in the toolbar, where it once used to be, and still hearing crickets.

It's not like the toolbar is lacking room:

Button_ribbon.jpg

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I noticed that several of my ? emojis from the site later turned to “?” for a couple of weeks, but seems OK now.

21AD6686-6518-4613-88A5-801D3BBCA48D.png