PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
Anyone plan on going? Its this coming up saturday. Im in Richmond VA this week on business. On my way back home to Charlotte I plan on stopping by.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
What a fun show. Or at least the 2 that I have been to back a few years ago were. It was in a small round pavilion where they had an antique show outside. The year before that, I think was in a different location.
It's always fun attending a pipe show no matter how many people are there, or how many vendors attend.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
I plan on going. This will be the first time for me. Does anyone know if there will be any pipe trading, or is it strictly things for sale only?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The TAPS Pipe Show happens again April 13, 2013, at the N.C. State Fairgrounds on Hillsborough Street

in the Martin Building, between the grandstand area and the edge of the Fairgrounds. One of the members

and organizers will likely do a posting on this. I just attended for the first time last year. It's a comparatively

small show, but a good one in terms of participants and energy -- maybe fifty exhibitors, including, last year,

Smokingpipes.com and other pipe retailers, carvers, pipe stand makers, tobacconists, and a multigenerational

representation of pipe smokers. The Fairgrounds is immediately across the road from the North Carolina

State University Vet School and just down the road from the main campus, so the show gets some student

participation. There's a nice covered patio area for smoking. Last year there was a goody bag including

a tin of tobacco. The admission price is $3, and you can get in without an admission fee if you clip a coupon

from the local paper the week before the show. One of my favorite pipe carvers, Jerry Perry, who also

exhibits at the N.C. State Fair was at TAPS last year and seemed to be doing a brisk business -- with me for

example. If you are in the Triangle Area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary and suburbs) or anywhere near

central North Carolina, and have an interest in pipes, this is a pleasant and low-key show. It runs Saturday,

April 13, 2013, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Official word will likely come from the actual organization, but since

I had it on my calendar, I thought I'd pass this along. The Martin Building is surrounded by a large parking

lot usually not affected by other events at the Fairgrounds, so come on down. Or up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I plan to go in the morning, in time to go to a four-year-old's family birthday in the afternoon. It's not in the round pavilion,

but in a square building between Trinity Road and the grandstand on the north side of the Fairgrounds. Plenty of parking.

I've been once, and saw mostly sales. I don't know if trading is facilitated by the show. It's sure worth the stop if you're

moving through Raleigh. You might also want to stop by Pipes by George on Hillsborough St. not far from the Fairgrounds,

if you have the time. But I'd give the pipe show at least to or three hours; plenty to see.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
This is my senior year at NC State but my first year with a pipe, so this will be my first and maybe last time there depending on where I get a job. I usually visit George's on Friday, so I probably won't on Saturday. I think a couple of the regulars there are going but I don't know what time.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I'm planning on attending for a while, hopefully in the morning. I went to it last year and it was a good time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Supposedly, there is a coupon in the paper for free admission, in The News and Observer, the Raleigh paper. I didn't

see it today, but I'll check tomorrow. Also, last year there was a pretty nice goody bag with a tin of tobacco, Sutliff's

Westminster. But mostly there are a lot of retailers with interesting pipes, racks, tobaccos and info. Take all your

pipe questions; someone is likely to know answers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
theboz, good for you on the pipe show coupon in the Technician. Didn't see it again today in the N&O. Maybe TAPS couldn't budget it, or maybe

it will be in tomorrow's. Admission is only $3, but it's nice to get a coupon instead. A thousand years ago, I worked on the NCSU campus in the

veteran's office, and read the technician regularly. Pretty good student paper, I thought.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Carytobacco, I'll look for you to get some info on the pipe shop or shops in Cary. Where are you/they

located? I'm just not sure which part of town you're in -- the old Chatham St. downtown, Cary Town

Village, or in one of the many other malls. I'll hope to stop by and talk.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anyone going to the TAPS show, be sure to visit the table of pipe carver and repairman Jerry Perry, who shows

at the TAPS show as well as the N.C. State Fair in October. I bought my first Perry pipe from him at the Fair

in 2002, and I now have four. All have broken in easily and worked out well over time, my favorite pipe for

at least an hour, every time I smoke one. His designs are clean and direct, and his prices are reasonable.

Disclaimer: I don't know Jerry except as one of my main pipe carvers. I know there will be other good carvers at

the show, but check out the work of Jerry Perry. You may need one for your rack. I'd like to support his

being on the scene for N.C. pipe smokers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
April 13 -- I just returned from the TAPS pipe show. Great turn-out this year. Excellent prices on many Petersons and other pipes.

The people at smokingpipes.com were kind enough to bring up a pipe I was interested in, and I bought it. Entered the raffle, but

didn't win the two pipes and three tins of tobacco for that hour, but received TWO tins of tobacco in the goodie bag. Also bid

on two items in the silent auction. Don't miss it if you are in the area and can get over there this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.