PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Estimated cost to raising a child to there 18 birthday, almost a quarter million dollars, I do believe they missed that mark a ton if you have girls.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Also that's only the beginning, after 18 things really start to add up in a big way for sure.

Dec 24, 2012
That sounds like an understatement in my view. I have two lads - 7 and 8 - and they cost me a fortune. Music lessons. Swimming lessons. Bikes. Hockey equipment and lessons. etc, etc. It never ends. I wouldn't have it any other way though. I enjoy them immensely.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
After paying for braces, music lessons, swim lessons, golf lessons, prom dresses, two college degrees, and a wedding, I am glad to say it was worth every penny. I just wish there were more than pennies left over.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Have ya ever heard of propaganda?
Yep this is a good example.
That cost can be greatly increased or decreased based on how you raise them.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Definitely a low ball number. I have a 10 year old daughter in competitive cheerleading and it costs me a bloody fortune. It's been the best thing that ever happened to her though, she had severe anxiety when she was younger that caused some physiological issues for her. After cheerleading she's a changed person and her marks have gone up at school. I'd give my last penny to make my kids happy, and the journey (and cost) is only starting with my 4 year old!

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I have no idea how much money I spent on my boy thats grown my 15 year old girl and 13 year old boy. I have no way of calculating that. So it sounds like bull shine to me

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes the kids who are the most trouble (and maybe expense) end up the closest to their parents

emotionally. People think they like the low maintenance kids the most -- no bail money, no running away,

no shambling in at 3 a.m. I guess parents like to know that their progeny have troubles just like them.

Some kids have plenty of turmoil, but keep it carefully from the folks. A lot of those.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
10 years of cheerleading (assuming she'll stick to it) will cost approximately $50,000. That's nothing compared to food & clothing and all the various other items a kid "needs". Granted we tend to spoil them, but I'm 1/5th of the way to the total only by doing one thing!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most people with kids wouldn't be without them, couldn't imagine life without them. It's a whole re-investment

in the future. The money matters, but only in a needful way. On the other hand, people without kids need not

fret. There are always nieces, nephews, students, neighbor kids, homeless kids, and a zillion others that need

an adult to assist. No one escapes parenting, more or less.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I have two daughters, a 10 year old and a 15 year old-wouldn't change a thing! Someone once told me though, and I whole-heartedly agree, that raising a teenage girl is like nailing jello to a tree!

andypandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2013
Oslo, Norway
This thread is a positive read. It's great that you guys love and appreciate your children. Pipe smoking is obviously be a vital part in the development of any parent, teaching you to deal with things that bite if handled incorrectly, but brings immense joy if done well... :) :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think many young adults in their twenties depend a lot more on their parents than they would like, because

of the economy. Amazing how hard some of them work, sometimes living packed into an apartment with a

number of others. The Vietnam veterans didn't have an easy time, but if we survived, there were some

options when we got back, maybe not the jobs we wanted, but jobs, anyway. When I finished school the

second time, I took a job just to join the middle class, and worried about actually using my degrees later,

which I finally did. But I sure got tired of living in barracks, a ship, a welfare hotel (on a housing allowance),

and a studio apartment (like a 1940 motel unit). I felt more like a citizen of the third world. Some of my

cousins owned houses while I had yet to live in a residence with a kitchen. I think it is more fun in memory

than it was at the time.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I have an 8 year old boy and a 5 year old boy, as well as a 22-month old girl, and have never once tried to figure out how much they have and will cost me. I guess I just deal with whatever exdenditures come my way and move on; it doesn't really matter, though, because you can't put a $ amount on the relationships I am building with them and the opportunities I can give them.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Keep you eye on the goal. A while ago, the family was in the basement enjoying a pizza and movie. During a potty pause, I told each kid to grab stuff and take it back upstairs. My daughter in a huff said, (with hands on hips!) "When I grow up and have kids, I am going to make them do my work!"
Exactly!!!!
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.