PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
I've been catching up on the Radio Show and was listening to episode 31 where Brian talks about cleaning pipes. He says he will not use a reamer but chooses to use sandpaper instead, I've considered purchasing a reamer but the sandpaper idea sounds safer with a clean, smooth surface when finished. Just wondering what others think about reamers, etc. I know some us knives. What do you do? Are there other methods?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
The answer is D. All of the above. Everyone on this forum uses something, and each method has its advocates who will swear by it. A reamer is quick, but you really have to know what you're doing, otherwise you'll break off chunks of cake, exposing bare wood, and maybe you'll even be gouging bare wood. The problem with using a sharp knife is that it can gouge out large chunks of carbon, thereby exposing bare wood. Sandpaper is a very easy way to ream out your pipe and carries far less risk of harm to the cake/wood than other methods. Just be patient with it.

Of course, the best technique is to wipe down your bowl thoroughly after each smoke with a pipe cleaner or paper towel, thereby keeping the cake from building up too quickly, and the cake that does buildup will be hard and dense, just the way you want it.

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
I use the Pipe Net reamers (4 in a set) and follow up with 150 grade fine sandpaper. (I tried the Senior Reamer but I find it unwieldy). You just have to go slow with an easy hand with the reamers, checking your progress. Reamers are best for pipes having heavy/ heavier or uneven cakes, e.g., unrestored estate pipes, and the work goes much faster than sandpaper. But if there isn’t much cake or unevenness, go straight to the sandpaper.
Thanks to my grandsons, I came up with my own set of SANDPAPER REAMERS. They were having a sword fight many years ago with my cheap pool cues and broke one of them. As I was about to throw it out, an idea struck. In short, I cut the pool cue into 5” lengths, then cut a lengthwise slit in each 5" section. The slit serves to hold the sandpaper’s edge, and then I wrap the remainder of the 3” x 3” square clockwise around the section and begin to add the final ream and smoothing. As a pool cue is tapered, there is always one size on hand that is ideal for most any pipe having a conical bowl or where the bowl has a smaller circumference towards the bottom than at the top of the bowl. For pipes having uniform circumference chambers, e.g. pots, you can use the appropriate size wooden dowels that are widely available.
I would never nor have I ever used a knife to ream a pipe. It is difficult to maintain a uniform cake reaming with a knife and a slip could cause irreparable damage.
A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I started with reamers and still use the Senior. I dislike using the circular reamers as when expanded they perforce ream all sides of the bowl, whereas cake tends to form in irregular pocket; and it is those pockets that require reaming, only. I make the blades into the smallest circle possible and ream one spot at a time.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
One of the premier pipe repairers in the country is a member of our club. I have him do my reaming. In fact, he insists on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.