PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
So last year I bought a Rad Davis Pipe, its fairly large for a Rad Davis. I have only smoked it a couple times and it smokes very nicely. Last fall I took it Smokers Haven and had them restore/polish the Cumberland stem and clean the pipe up. The pipe is a smoked but restored estate that is in excellent condition with just a little bit of rim darkening. I enjoy smoking a pipe but I just don't know if I smoke enough to have a pipe this nice. So my question is, if I wanted to sell it how much do you think I should ask.
img_20130826_204531-600x450.jpg

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I'll give you $20 and pay for the shipping. You can't pass this deal up :)
I have NO idea how to price pipes, so perhaps someone else can help offer some value, but my offer still stands :rofl:

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I would look at several of the respected estate pipe dealers. BriarBlues is one that I can think of and see what they sell them for.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On linn dealers are a good way to go. You can also use eBay to find out what Rad Davis pipes have sold for at auction.
To do this, navigate to Collectibles/Tobacciana/Pipes and type in "Rad Davis" in the search window and click on "advanced" which is to the right of the "search" button. This will bring you to eBay's advanced search page.
Check "completed listings" and click search. You will see all of the recent listings for completed Rad Davis auctions on eBay. You can look at the auctions to see what type of Rad Davis pipe went for what type of money. It will give you a useful range.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
delk - a factor in pricing is whether you bought the Rad new and unsmoked, and then only puffed it a few times. If you bought it as a presmoked estate, you could probably sell it for about what you paid for it, minus fees and commissions.
hp

les

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Sam is pretty much spot on in regards to pricing. It looks like a pretty big and heavy pipe so your market for that kind of smoker is smaller. Most of Rad's customers enjoy his lighter weight group 4-5 sized pipes and those go for more than his larger stuff. I think if you got 250-275 you will be doing good. When you go to sell it make sure you give all of the dimensions i.e bowl height, bowl depth, bowl width, length, weight. You can try selling it in the buy/sell room here and you will not have to pay any commissions.

Aug 14, 2012
An estate in great condition is worth about half the new cost. But Rads do have a higher resale value than most. You did not mention the original price, but maybe 60% of that. If you don't get that much wait a few years. You will get more than that.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Thanks for all the responses. I purchased it as a lightly smoked estate so I did not buy it new. I found it on Rad's site and it originally sold for about $400 in '09. It is a big pipe for a Rad but maybe that will fill a niche.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
delk, if you can wait, hold off till Rad stops carving as his pipes will go up big time once he calls it quits. I was actually thinking about offing him myself to speed up my investment. Rad, if you read this you know I was only kidding. :nana:
I actually know a guy who lives local to me that loves big pipes and he might be interested in this one. Shoot me a pm with your email and I will send you mine so if you want, you can send me more pics with all of the measurements on the pipe. I will forward it to my buddy and maybe you can work a deal with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.