PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of the rare successful movie actors who never really "dug" celebrity. Quite possibly that made him an even better actor. Luckily, he achieved success early in life, so he got it done in a short life.

Jan 27, 2020
I agree he was a great actor but I made the mistake of trying to rewatch Aktered States a few years ago, doesn't age well. Saw the Big Chill for the first time (!!) last year and really enjoyed it. RIP.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The two movies with him that always come to mind first are Body Heat and Gorky Park.

RIP William.
Same here, even though he had a fair amount of good roles. Body Heat he was perfect, Ted Danson was hilarious. Gorky Park I watch for Lee Marvin - great performance.

Reactions: monty55

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I really enjoyed him as an actor. He had the most calming voice. One of my favorites was 1995's "Smoke", with Harvey Keitel, Stockard Channing, and very wild role by Ashley Judd. Keitel owns a corner smoke shop, frequented by some interesting characters. Hurt was one of the main characters and he played it well. Not much pipe smoking as I remember, but worth a watch anyway.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I really enjoyed him as an actor. He had the most calming voice. One of my favorites was 1995's "Smoke", with Harvey Keitel, Stockard Channing, and very wild role by Ashley Judd. Keitel owns a corner smoke shop, frequented by some interesting characters. Hurt was one of the main characters and he played it well. Not much pipe smoking as I remember, but worth a watch anyway.
I had forgotten about that. As I recall it is a very New York kind of film. Charming.

Reactions: agnosticpipe