R.I.P. Oscar Winner 'Nurse Ratched', Nemesis of Jack Nicholson.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
For some reason I thought she was called 'Nurse Ratchet'....nice to be corrected.

Alas 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' is the only film that I saw that she stared in and in and she always gave me the creeps :eek:

Regards,

Jay.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Slightly off-topic and a longshot: Are there any knowledgeable Kesey fans that know why the two lines about the Red Cross nurse only appear in the very earliest release of the novel?

“that fool Red Cross woman” on page 9, lines 12–13

and

“Red Cross woman named Gwen-doe-lin, with the blond hair the patients are always arguing about ...” on the top of page 86.

I believe they were removed in all subsequent editions.

• Wow
Reactions: bullet08 and JOHN72

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Slightly off-topic and a longshot: Are there any knowledgeable Kesey fans that know why the two lines about the Red Cross nurse only appear in the very earliest release of the novel?

“that fool Red Cross woman” on page 9, lines 12–13

and

“Red Cross woman named Gwen-doe-lin, with the blond hair the patients are always arguing about ...” on the top of page 86.

I believe they were removed in all subsequent editions.
Ha! I almost got political.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
RIP ... such a memorable performance in a truly great film.

Her passing is quite symbolic at this time, because the inmates have certainly gained full control of the asylum.

Reactions: Kobold and olkofri

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When ever I got a nasty shitty nurse in the hospital I would call them Nurse Ratchet to their faces, some had no clue I insulted the shit out of them, others new and a few cracked up.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was a cheerful, uplifting, and insprational movie to be sure. Released a decade after Mary Poppins as a sort of tribute/copy, with Louise Fletcher playing the Julie Andrews role. Feel-good vibes every inch of the way. Even more than Nicholson's other famously uplifting film of the period, Five Easy Pieces.

I actually knew Nurse Ratched in real life, btw. She was my teacher in fourth grade.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Love that movie. Though it's weird when you read the book first. It's just a really different tone and a way different perspective.
Though Ken Kesey said once his favorite adaptation was a school play version of it that he got invited to.
I'll take his word for it and we're all missing out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The villain roles in movies are crucial to their dramatic success. Think Darth Vader, the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz, Lee Van Clef in Clint Eastwood Westerns, and so on. The veiled malice of Nurse Ratchet was a key to the movies tension. A well-played villain is a master stroke. To come across as a heavy playing opposite Jack Nicholson is a big accomplishment.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Danny DeVito before he was a bowling ball!

A very unique book (and film). Although I really think Kesey’s masterpiece was “Sometimes a Great Notion.” Though the film adaptation of that one left something to be desired, if you read the book anyway.