PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Dutch pipe smoker forum member Huub is active on several German fora and there he read this quote:
Der Strang ist aus dem Programm genommen worden und wird nicht mehr produziert!!!!!!!!! (The Strang has been taken out of the assortment and is no longer being produced!!!!!!!!!)
We already knew Motzek was retiring and searching for a successor, but now he seemed to have finally pulled the plug on the Strang. Hopefully he finds a successor who will also start up the little tobacco factory again.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
We anticipated this news once he announced his retirement. And so another outstanding blend disappears. I suppose it's just a matter of time before the price gouging from cellars begins.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
None is leaving my cellar simply to gain filthy lucre. It only leaves smoke first. :puffpipe:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The rolls appear to be gone, but the loose cut is still available. So far I haven't found it particularly good, but I'll give it a few more tries to see if something emerges. I have plenty in the cellar but it's nothing that I'll miss.
As for gouging? Sure, why not? People seem to be lining up to be gouged in this hobby. What do you think, $75 an inch?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
We know gouging will happen. That's why I haven't reported that it was discontinued, though I had known about it for a while. I didn't want to see another round Penzance-like threads going on to pump up the price of the stash that some will end up exploiting.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I am not sure I can agree that willfully paying any price, even outrageously high ones, is tantamount to be exploited.

Still, I'm sorry to see it go. Perhaps some high prices in the sure to follow frenzy will prompt a future revival.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
As time passes, new blends will come. Give it time folks. As for the retiring blender, hope he enjoys his well earned rest and comfort!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Has Motzek made any official statement or said directly to anyone that the Strang is being discontinued, or is this just another rumor. Nate posted that he was told by Motzek that their current production was aging and would be available early next year. Was this a deception? Is Strang's demise a rumor, or actual.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I have enough for one bowl from a sample graciously sent to me by a forum member, I'll have to pick a time to be able to sit and enjoy it as it will probably be my last. A very enjoyable smoke, hopefully someone will step up and continue to make this.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
None is leaving my cellar simply to gain filthy lucre. It only leaves smoke first.
Yep! Same here ... or to give out samples for free. :puffy:
People seem to be lining up to be gouged in this hobby. What do you think, $75 an inch?
I heard a similar statement during my last trip through Nevada ... 8O

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I was gifted 2 bowls of Motzec Strang a couple months ago. I had been saving it. I smoked some in a small Falcon Bowl after cleaning it thoroughly for a pristine taste. Really was good and a nice Nic effect as well. I have one more bowl. :)

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
kcghost, me also. Thought he had passed away. Glad to read that was not the case!

Status
Not open for further replies.