PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Opened my first G.L. Pease tin. My post-pharmacology test reward. This one is a tin of Quiet Nights. I have to say I love the presentation/ personalized touch. I have to smoke it more to get a better handle on this blend. My first impression is it is really smooth, great tasting oriental-forward tobacco. Latakia pops up every one in a while in the background. Virginias are also in the background. I am getting a macadamia nut, floral, creamy taste from this blend. Like smokey rose-water. The perique? Very little, You really have to concentrate to taste it but it's there in the aftertaste.This is right up my alley.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Congrats on your Pharmaceutical exam, Minfarshaw and welcome to the Quiet Night Fan Club.
I love Quiet Night and put it in the same camp as Squadron Leader and Penzance. Others in the forum have tastes congruent with yours.
If you like QN, you might consider some of the following blends.
  • QN is Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia.

[/*]
  • Squadron Leader is Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia[/*]
  • Penzance is Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia[/*]
As posted elsewhere, I recently smoked Penzance and Quiet Nights back-to-back, and frankly, preferred the QN, at least for that night.
You might also look into Esoterica Margate another Latikia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia blend. I like it maybe as much as Penzance. (although I miss the lovely Penzance crumbly flake cut versus the Margate shag)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think it's quite at the GL Pease level, but I'm enjoying the Oriental leaf in Sutliff's Balkan 957, a tasty variation among non-aro blends. I like some GLP better than others, but I have yet to smoke one I don't enjoy at all.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I managed to sneak a tin of Quiet Nights (along with a tin of Six Pence) past the scoundrels of UK Customs, and have to join the QN fan club as well. Easily one of the best blends I have smoked. Marvellous stuff.

My only problem is going to be getting hold of more when my tin runs dry!

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Funny I smoked my second bowl last night and tasted a lot of perique. I was a great smoke again. Question: do you guys smoke this as a flake or break it up?

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I like to just fold and stuff. Prefer smoking it as a broken flake.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Same as tarheel1, I fold and stuff. Same for all my flakes, I find they smoke better that way. And I'm lazy and don't fancy the extra prep of rubbing out flakes!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think there's a good deal of latakia in the blend, and from the standpoint of taste, more latakia flavor than virginia or oriental. I don't know it had perique until you mentioned it. Outstanding blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.