PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Quiet Nights is one of my favorite blends, though I’ve never smoked a tin with that much age on it. I’ve heard of the McClelland ketchup not but never the Quiet Nights soda note.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
I do enjoy quiet nights but I don’t recall a soda note in it. The soda note is usually associated with yenidje and I don’t believe quiet nights has any yenidje. Perhaps the age is doing something to bring out that note. I’ll have to try some again and see if I can get that flavor, though my qn is only at the 3 or 4 year mark.

Reactions: perdurabo

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I do enjoy quiet nights but I don’t recall a soda note in it. The soda note is usually associated with yenidje and I don’t believe quiet nights has any yenidje. Perhaps the age is doing something to bring out that note. I’ll have to try some again and see if I can get that flavor, though my qn is only at the 3 or 4 year mark.
I couldn’t remember what Oriental causes it, and hell if I know what Pease “C&D” puts in these blends, when orientals are stated. I started picking it up in the last 3rd of the bowl. That tingley soda sensation in the mouth feel and around the edges of the tongue. The only other blend I’ve experienced this is White Knight. It was worth sharing with you guys who’ve smoked more of Quiet Nights than me. I just opened the first tin I got back in 2015.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
It was still present with Delayed Gratification. We will put this down to first bowl subjective experience. Who knows. Maybe I don’t know what the hell soda note is.

Reactions: kcghost

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
@perdurabo

I have a story to share. The other night, I got the soda effect with Quiet Nights. Couldn't believe it. Totally had that sour, effervescent soda texture/taste. Tin is only a year old.

Then I smoked some others, and they had the soda note too. That's when I realized that it had to be my body chemistry. So I started looking at variables: I was tired as hell, a while week if 4-5 hours of sleep a night, mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted, I drank hot tea made of echinacea root (makes your tongue tingle and almost certainly affects taste ability), licorice root (same effects as the echinacea), and I had a seltzer water with 1 drop cola concentrate flavor and 1 drop spiced rum flavor.

I believe all these variables, especially the echinacea and licorice root tea and the flavor concentrates in my seltzer, completely changed/wrecked my palate and my ability to taste. If you have any doubts, I smoked 3 more bowls after the haunted bookshop, Bijou, C&D Burley Flake 1, and C&D Dark Burley before giving up in smoking, and the only one I didn't get the soda note with was the Dark Burley.

I do believe that all these variables had the effect of sensitizing my palate to casings. The dark Burley doesn't have casing, if I am correct, and that's why it didn't have the same effect

So maybe the soda thing is just a confluence of chemical variables all lining up? Maybe not, but I am telling you, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that Quiet Nights and the other 2 tasted absolutely like soda.

Reactions: perdurabo

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I’m still catching the soda note in bottom third of the same pipe. I’ve smoked Quiet Nights in another smaller pipe with no sign of the soda note. It seems to be this specific pipe and it’s larger size chamber. E74A8989-9468-4DC7-8355-97FDBC656421.jpeg

Reactions: Effortlessdepths