Quick Question: What's the Non-System Shape Number of the Peterson 314?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I tried to do some research but couldn't find the corresponding shape number. I found out the 20s was the Deluxe System number.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Peterson really needs to have an explanatory chart on its website to show what shape numbers are the same shapes. I can't fathom why it doesn't have one.
Agreed. I think doing that as well as showing some scaled size comparisons would be very helpful. I had to do a bunch of reading to try and figure out the size differences between the 314, 317, 312, and another bent billiard I can't remember the name of.

Reactions: mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Agreed. I think doing that as well as showing some scaled size comparisons would be very helpful. I had to do a bunch of reading to try and figure out the size differences between the 314, 317, 312, and another bent billiard I can't remember the name of.
I guess it's all in the book that's currently out of print

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
There might be a few copies floating around the interwebs, but it's hard to come by.

Reactions: mingc

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
There might be a few copies floating around the interwebs, but it's hard to come by.

Very cool! I’d love to own this but I'm guessing for what it'll cost, I’d be happier with spending that money on a pipe.

Reactions: Toast and mingc

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
... the size differences between the 314, 317, 312, and another bent billiard I can't remember the name of.
Maybe the 307, aka the XL90? It's my favorite!
Somewhere I saw a list of shape numbers and bowl sizes, grouped into medium, large, XL. Maybe it's on one of their shape charts?
fyi, the 317 is tiny, maybe the smallest they make.
They sometimes make the same shape in different sizes, like the 313 (med) and 309 (lg).
You can always email the Peterson Dublin store with questions.
I know what chamber dimensions I like, and that makes it easier to judge a pipe online (as long as the measurements are accurate).

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Maybe the 307, aka the XL90? It's my favorite!
Somewhere I saw a list of shape numbers and bowl sizes, grouped into medium, large, XL. Maybe it's on one of their shape charts?
They sometimes make the same shape in different sizes, like the 313 (med) and 309 (lg).
You can always email the Peterson Dublin store with questions.
I know what chamber dimensions I like, and that makes it easier to judge a pipe online (as long as the measurements are accurate).
Yes, the 307 was what I was thinking!

The XL90 is a beautiful pipe and is on my short list of next pipe purchases. I’m not a fan of the look on a system though (the 307 you mentioned) but I think it looks great on non-systems.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Pretty sure this Peterson has it beat!
IMG_20211013_011748.jpg
Pipe Length : 81 mm
Pipe Height : 44 mm
Pipe Width : 26 mm
Chamber Width : 15.6 mm
Pipe Weight : 18 grams

Any shorter & it would be pretty well impossible to light!

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Reactions: Toast

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Is that you, Andre
Ha! Nope, although I did sort of have that 'problem' with a pipe I got from Damiano Rovera - his hands must be pretty big, because the pipe was nowhere near as small as I expected (a favourite though, so no biggie)!

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Is this one of those Peterson outdoors pipe? It's interesting that the stem is just left straight instead of being bent.
Yup, the baby of a baby bunch. The stem is actually really comfy, probably because it weighs nearly nothing. I have one other in the same series which is bigger & has a slight curve to the stem. That one's much less comfy.

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Seriously now, what is the story with that? It's got really nice grain, and is probably pretty rare & thus valuable. Have you run it by Mark at Peterson Pipe Notes - https://petersonpipenotes.org/
Thanks! That's it's good side - the other side has a fill & the staining isn't great. It's fun to smoke though. The grain & finish on the other is far nicer, but it's much less fun to smoke.

I think it's a standard series (Outdoor) - not really a Peterson person though, so I might be wrong on that. There are a fair few on the Internet anyway!