PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I purchased few Cuban cigars to try (3 Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure N. 2 and 3 Montecristo N 2).

I know that being current production they need to rest a little bit before being smoked but what is the minimum I should wait, 3, 6, 12 months? Also I sealed them in food saver bags with Boveda packs as I would prefer avoid purchasing a humidor for just few cigars I don't know I will like them. Is it ok doing so, should I use instead Mylar bags and should I open the bag and ventilate them every while?

fusion

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2019
They will be ok in the bags with a boveda but better in a small Tupperware type container(with a Boveda), i would smoke one of each fresh and keep the rest as long as you can, Cubans do better at lower RH so 61 to 63 is a good place, if you use 65 Bovedas in the tupperware that should keep at about 63, buy a Digital hydrometer to put in, a few bucks on ebay, cool dark place

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Depends on how old they are when you purchased them. Most Cubans need 2 years and will be best 5 years or older. Rather than be overly concerned about the age, I'd recommend checking your source and getting someone knowledgeable to verify they're real. I've always heard around 80% of the Cubans in the USA are fake. Check the bands and check to make sure there is a triple cap. Most reasonable fakes pass those tests. If you want to smoke one, go ahead. Leave enough to cut it open. If it is rolled long leaf, reasonable chance they may be authentic. If it is short filler, or partial short filler, they're most certainly fake. Post a couple of photos of the cigars, especially the bands (front and sides). The Monte 2 is one of the most often counterfeited Cubans.

Reactions: diamondback

64alex

May 10, 2016
Fusion,

I was thinking about Tupperware. Boweda is the 62 grade as I know it is better a lower RH.
hoosierpipeguy,

I purchased them at Frankfurt airport duty free at a certified habanos shop. I don't have doubts they are legitimate and I would not buy any Cuban cigars in the USA or from uncertain sources.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yes, I would agree, those are likely authentic. No insult intended, you previously didn't specify. If I had a Cuban cigar for every fake I've seen, I'd never need to purchase any more. And back to your original question, I agree, the tupperware container with a humidifying device would be adequate and better than a zip lock. Visit a local cigar shop and ask for a piece of the thin Spanish Cedar that are in the boxes. Put that in the tupperware container. I'd wait a year and a half to try one, that should put them at least 2 years old. They should at least be past the sick period at that point.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I'd wait a year and a half to try one, that should put them at least 2 years old. They should at least be past the sick period at that point.]
Probably I will try one in a couple of months just to test, keeping the others for the end of next year. The other question is if every while I should open the container or not to ventilate the cigars. For pipe tobacco in cellar we generally advise not to ventilate during aging but reading around for cigars it might not be the same.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
fwiw, the best cigars I've ever tasted were Cubans, I've also had a few that were spectacularly bad.
Go figure.
This was one of the exceptional ones:
P5074993.jpg

I guess my point is keep at it if you happen to run into a dud early.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Opening it a few times every now and then should be OK, IMHO. I have a humidor and have to be checking the humidity levels at least once a week and refilling the humidifier if low, which means I have to open the container, so far, no problems with my Cubans therein.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
georged Bolivars are my favorites as well, in my opinion an underrated brand, eclipsed by the more mainstream Cohiba, Monte Cristo, Rome i Juliet, and all that. Don't get me wrong, all the mentioned are good cigars, but due to their over popularity some other brands are overlooked, bolivar being one of them. Gypseret is another brand that I recollect.
The dominica bolivars aren't bad either. I remember back in the States, a Texas shop were carrying them - quite a nice cigar, the maduros were quite something, pricey to at about $18 for a Churchill.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Hard to get much better than a Partagas #2.
I've had great Cubans, and as said before, some awful ones. I have 4 Cohiba Lonesdales that are rolled so tight they are unsmokable. I probably will bust them up and throw them in a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoked Cubans on two trips to Canada when they were verboten in the U.S. I'm not a cigar guy, but from my few experiences, I always preferred Dominicans, at least at the modest prices I paid. Smoother and a wider "keyboard" of flavors.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The Bolivar Limitadas are off the chart good George. And you are also correct in running into the occasional dud.
Cigars age differently than pipe tobacco. Opening the "humidor" from time to time is fine and obviously, expected.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Trinidad Fundadores get my vote for Cubans. That or RASS. If you put me on a desert island though, I'll take Padron's anniversary series over any cubans I've ever had. Their draw consistency and construction boggles my goddamn mind.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Had a Padron 1926 series last night. Was OK but what I liked the best was the draw. Have smoked a lot of other brands that tasted as good or better that were 1/6th of the cost, but that Momma was constructed/wrapped better than most. It was perfect.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
instymp they sure are, it's impressive. And yeah, they are certainly expensive. I actually like the 1964's better than the 26s. While cheaper, they are still pretty pricey though. Certainly some fine sticks out there to be had for a smaller price.
On my aforementioned desert island money is just firestarter. In the real world Padrons are a rare treat :(

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I really like the Exclusivo. If you haven't already and get the chance, grab a couple of the Nicaraguan Davidoffs. They are very nice in my experience.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Davidoffs are good sticks as well. Especially like their milder offerings. Haven't tried the Nics. Might next time I'm feeling splurgey.

On the subject of tupperware... keep in mind that most of the plastic containers that you can get at Walmart or the grocers is not airtight at all. I found this out on a recent camping trip and all of the containers were flooded with water from the melting ice. We were using all new containers from various brands, so I would verify that they are air tight before putting your investment in them. I would be hard pressed to choose a brand container that I would put much faith in after this camping trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.